1. Jane-o

Jane-o Junior Member

Canada
    Czech/English
    Okay guys, this may be a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Any statisticians/mathematicians out there, lend me your ears!

I'm working on a text which is describing a survey, and how it was put into statistical data:

"The data was normalized, whereby the scores from 1 to 10 were multiplied by 10, such that 1=10 and 10=100... The series means was applied to attributes that were not scored."

I've searched like a dozen statstical glossaries online, but can't find "series means" I'm temped to translate it as "moyenne de série", thinking the "s" on "means" might be a typo... but I don't want to risk that. Is anyone familiar with this term at all?

... anyone? :eek:

2. Katemonster

Katemonster Senior Member

I'm not a statistician, but use of was rather than were strongly supports your typo hypothesis

3. Jane-o

Jane-o Junior Member

Canada
    Czech/English
    heheh... "typo hypothesis" :p

Thanks for your suggestion, Katemonster, but I'm thinking this perhaps refers to "means" as in "financial means" or something... in which case, I believe it would be in the singular. :confused: It is a researched paper, so I'm assuming these people would have proofread it quite thoroughly. That's also another reason why I think this would be a specific term. It's not mentioned anywhere else in the text though, so unfortunately I can't get more context. Ugh... I really don't know.

Maybe you're right though... it makes so much more sense as "mean/average". Thanks... hehe

4. doodlebugger Senior Member

France
    The series mean (no s, it is a typo) = la moyenne de la série.
    I believe it means that when there was no data entry (attribute not scored), the mean (mathematical mean) of the series was used instead.

5. Jane-o

Jane-o Junior Member

Canada
    Czech/English
    Thanks doodlebugger. I have a friend who pretty much put it in those same words as well. It actually makes sense that way. :)

Cheers guys.