ses bat-flanc de coffre-fort

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by cordeliaeugenia, Jun 17, 2010.

1. cordeliaeugenia

cordeliaeugenia Senior Member

English
    Salut les gens,
    J'ai des difficultés à comprendre cette phrase:
    Seule la Chrysler, haute sur pattes, hermétique, ses bat-flanc de coffre-fort rembourrés d'un acier inviolable, garde ses distances, poursuivant sa marche d'impératrice.
    Only the Chrysler, on its high heels, hermetic, its strongbox rails/screens padded with inviolable steel, keeps its distance, continuing its ride of an empress.
    I've found that 'bat-flanc' are some kind of partitions used in stables to separate the animals and 'coffre-fort' is a safe, but I don't understand the metaphor here, if it's a metaphor at all. What could this mean? Sorry about my translation, I know it's completely wrong...:(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. cordeliaeugenia

English
    Maybe it refers to the car's entire surface? ''...its surface, like a safe's, padded with inviolable steel...'', what do you think?

3. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Tout ce qu'on invente pour décrire une voiture ! :)

Un bat-flanc est une cloison de séparation. Inutile à mon avis de "rembourrer" une cloison interne de coffre-fort ;).

Je ne sais pas à quelle partie de la voiture on fait allusion. Je devine qu'on ne veut pas parler de "cloison" mais de la caisse (body) de la voiture, qui est renforcée ou doublée d'acier à la manière d'un coffre-fort inviolable (digne d'un véritable coffre-fort ?).

4. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    My try at this [tongue-in-cheek, I hope] description of a car:

Only the Chrysler, riding high, impervious, its armoured sides / side boards [??] reinforced with impregnable steel, keeps its distance and continues on its regal run.

(Well, my own Chrysler didn't have much of a regal run. Turned out to be a multi-challenged rust bucket on wheels that was duly laid to rest after eight agonising years.)

5. cordeliaeugenia

English
    Merci beaucoup, OLN!
    Alors, peux-je utiliser le mot 'surface' pour transmettre le métaphore correctement?
    Only the Chrysler, on its high heels, hermetic, its surface, like that of a deposit box, padded with inviolable steel, keeps its distance, continuing its ride of an empress.
    Qu’est-ce que vous en pensez?

6. cordeliaeugenia

English
    Thank you, bh7! ;)
    I like your translation very much. I'm actually translating this into Croatian (sometimes, as is obvious, via English) and your 'riding high' and 'armoured sides' sound perfect and are sure to bring me closer to my Croatian solution.

I'm sorry about you Chrysler :( I hope you've found a better car-match :)