Session de contrôle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by riga, Nov 10, 2010.

1. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    je veux savoir la traduction dans le contexte des examens à l'université : Session de contrôle ( c'est que quand l'étudiant ou l'étudiante ne passe pas la session principale de examens ).

Bonsoir.

2. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    England & English (UK version)
    I don't know if this is truly comparable, but in such a situation in the UK you might either be asked to take "an oral (exam)", i.e. an interview (this is a sort of "contrôle") or to "re-sit" the exam (either the whole exam or just the paper which was failed).

3. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    it's actually about either to fail or to pass
    so i want to know what about saying when someone does not pass so he has to take a second exam try (in France we call that ; session de controle which comes after the main session,
    i hope that you see what i mean.

4. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    that sounds to me like a "re-sit", i.e. the person takes ("sits") the exam, or part of it, again.

5. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    yes something to that effect.

6. SWilliams New Member

English - Canada
  7. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    Dear Swilliams,

After i did my wide research ,i've found out that it could be like make-up session ( session de contrôle in France) ?
    does this make sense ?

8. SWilliams New Member

English - Canada
    Yes, "make-up session" could work just fine. Just don't get confused and write "make-out session" - that means kissing someone! ;o)

9. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    Lol, ok then.

Cheers.

10. clairet

clairet Senior Member

London & Bordeaux
    I've come back to this a bit late but I'd better note that "make-up session" would not work in the UK at all to mean "re-sit/re-take an exam". Here it would mean a session of beautifying yourself or of preparing an actor to go on stage/film-set.

SWilliams' "re-take" would work OK in the UK.

11. riga Senior Member

Arabic
    I see what you mean,

"would work OK in the UK" lol ! OK