Shaft, shaftee, shaftor.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Magteraven, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Magteraven Junior Member

Mexico City.
    Spanish
    Hello everybody, I encountered these words in a book, the author writes: "You and I know that the best way to shaft a boss these days -to transform him into a shaftee with you being the shaftor- is to do precisely what he or she tells you to"
    My attempt: "Tú y yo sabemos que la mejor forma de joder (o algo así) a tu jefe en estos días -para volverlo un jodido (al que joden) siendo tú el jodedor- es hacer precisamente lo que él o ella te dice" Is it a good translation? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the rude language, but it doesn´t occur to me a better word!

2. auxilio! Senior Member

English - Australia
    Está buena. Al final puede servir solo: hacer precisamente lo que te dice. Sería de gran valor encontrar el verbo español más evocativo para reemplazar a joder. Ah, perdón, creo que these days esté mejor traducida como hoy en día.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. phantom2007 Senior Member

Madrid
    spain, Spanish
    joder en España no se puede usar, salvo en lenguaje muy basto o en lenguaje de jovencitos. Pero además no significa lo mismo que en suramérica. Aquí es equivalente a tener relaciones sexuales forzadas, mientras que en ese contexto querría decir "fastidiar".

4. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    Not to worry. It's rude in the English -- and meant to be:)

5. Tochka Senior Member

True enough, but I'll point out that since the term "shaft" is used metaphorically, it is possible for people to side-step the intended meaning--and for some to actually not to recognize what it's meant to represent. I remember hearing an older woman speak of someone getting "shafted." When I expressed surprise at her use of the term, she insisted that it had no implication of rape. For her it simply meant to be treacherously hurt by someone--and the reference was to being run through by, or impaled on, a shaft, such as a lance.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. Magteraven Junior Member

Mexico City.
    Spanish
    Thanks a lot, do you recommend to me using the word in that sense? is it easily undestandable? (please correct my mistakes)

7. auxilio! Senior Member

English - Australia
    I'm sure you can use joder there. It is the intention to be rude! But, in the interests of literature :D, you should look for a funny alternative - as in the English.

Al echar un vistazo al traductor Google, veo muchas alternativas al traducir a shaft. Probablemente unas son de doble sentido. No es así? ¿Darle caña, por ejemplo? Si no estoy mal, tengo recuerdo de una habla hispana habiendome comentado y, claro, se dió verguenza!

8. phantom2007 Senior Member

Madrid
    spain, Spanish
    Si es el sentido claro en Inglés, pues "joder" para España está bien. En Argentina en cambio se usaría y comprendería con la ligereza del significado "embromar, fastidiar" y no se entendería como el "darle caña".