share something with/to someone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Wookie, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Wookie

Wookie Senior Member

Korea, Korean
    That project shared details of members’ activities on certain outside sites to all of their Facebook friends.

This is from an article in the New York Times. This is about Facebook's rolling back to its old terms of service.

I'd like to know the sentence above is grammatically correct.
    As far as I know, "share" is used with "with" not "to".
  2. envie de voyager Senior Member

Niagara Falls, Canada
    I think you are correct, the verb share is normally used with the preposition with. But, language is always evolving, and in the world of the internet and computers, words take on new meanings with new constructions. Saying "shared to" is probably the proper way to express this idea, and I am just not accustomed to it yet.
  3. New Member

I have had the same problem somewere in the facebook. It looks like both are correct?
  4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    No. It's share with. The Times isn't always correct.
  5. New Member

6. dduong New Member

Chinese - USA
    I guess there is a difference between the two.
    To share something with someone implies that the thing that is shared can be accessible to both the person who shares and the person being shared with.
    To share something to someone implies that the thing being shared could no longer be accessible to the person who shares until it is returned.
  7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Share "to" is still wrong as the above advice in this old thread points out.