Shat vs. Shit vs. Shitted

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Artemis60, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Artemis60 Senior Member

Hello, again! I have also found the word "shat", but don't know if it's a typing mistake or an euphemism for another word meaning "soil your pants". It's used in the frase "I very nearly shat myself", said by someone who has a knife at his throar, when de knife is withdrawn. Thank you again for your attention.
  2. Gordonedi

Gordonedi Senior Member

UK (Scotland) English
    The word "shat" is sometimes used as the past tense of the verb "shit".
  3. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    In AE "I just about shit myself" is the gold standard of scatalogical expressions in the past tense. Shat is a variant a lot of people use in a mock-formal tone, to be funny. I think in general it is a pretty funny word.

"Who shat the bed?" At the very least it calls attention to itself.

Oh by the way, it is the original correct past-tense form. I think in AE we use shit by analogy with hit and bit and fit. But it's really in the same class with sit/sat.
  4. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    I have a feeling that a lot of people use 'shat' so they don't feel they've really used a form of 'shit'.
  5. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
  6. mytwolangs Senior Member

English United States
    Sharted is another way of saying - I did shit.
    But it is not proper grammar, it is just something you may hear.
  7. marget Senior Member

Are you talking about American Englsih? I'm not familiar with this term, but I learn something new here every day.
  8. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Actually, I honestly think this word was introduced in what some might consider a funny scene in a recent film. The character says that he "sharted". The other character asks what that means. He says, "You know.. it's when you let loose with a fart but more comes out..." Ugh. According to Google, the film is "Along Came Polly."

If anyone can provide a reference to the word prior to this movie's release, I'd be surprised.
  9. moirag Senior Member

English, England
    Hi, everyone. Have I missed something? My Collins says "shitted", "shit", or "shat". I don't find it odd at all. Let's see if other Brits support me.
  10. marget Senior Member

It seems to me that sharted is a combination of the two words you mentioned. I don't think it's the past tense of the original verb. (Sorry if I'm a little vague, :eek: but you can read between the lines, right?;) )
  11. Macymoo Senior Member

London, England (English)
    Us English speakers have made the word shat our past tense of shit!!

I shat myself means I was very very scared!

I shit myself (present), I shat myself!!! (past)

12. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I do hope that you have an appropriate expression of wide-eyed wonder.
    The word has been around and well used since I was a baby filling my nappies.

13. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I couldn't agree with you more ... except that when I was a baby such an expression was never used by the middle class. It was considered extremely offensive. Nowadays you can say practically anything, which reminds me of an incident at the BBC in the 50s when a comedian, whose name I can't recall at this moment, closed his show with the following rhyme and was banned from broadcasting for ten years:

When roses are red, they are ready for plucking.
    When girls are sixteen, they are ready for .. good night, everyone.

He never even voiced the missing word!
  14. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    You are quite right. Shat sits very comfortably in my Collins Dictionary and in my opinion is a word that is clear and consise in usage and meaning.
    Offence is in the ear of the listener.
    We had a very funny bloke banned from television for imitating a crow call.

15. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK

Allow me to clarify that if it seemed a little vague. Shart = sh*t + Fart.
    Perhaps neither one but a bit of both.

16. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Australia English
    Shat is a live and well in Australia.

I'm sure that I would be shat upon from a great height if I used it in a formal essay.
  17. marget Senior Member

Yes, you said exactly what I meant!;)
  18. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK
    I realise ;-). I just said it out loud for two reasons;
    i) SO that it would be crystal clear to everyone,
    ii) So that you wouldn't have to... go into more detail about such a crude and unlady-like idea.

19. marget Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate it! ;)
  20. mirx Banned

What is that like?

A mix of shit and fart...?
  21. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Shat isn't just shit + fart..

It, plainly, is the acting of having a shit, completed, done all over with.

"Who shat the bed?"
    "... and she shat her pants"

etc... I also know people who would say...

"I got so drunk last night, I drank shat loads"..
    It's very common in NW of England to hear "shit loads" to mean "a lot", it is extremely common, and some people who don't understand grammar would say, because it is in the past, they'd use "shat loads" as an adjective.
  22. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    If I heard sharted, I truly wouldn't know what they were talking about.
  23. MooseVW New Member

USA (English)
    Sharted is something that I've also never heard before. If I had heard it in context I wouldn't think about it being a variation of shat, though.
  24. mirx Banned

I didn't mean the word shat alone, but sharted, which i have never come across, but sounds logical and funny.
  25. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I think "shatted" (not in the tired sense) is funnier:p
  26. Artemis60 Senior Member

Thank you very much, everybody! You've been very helpfull and I have learned much more than I was hoping for.
  27. Reina140

Reina140 Banned

I know this is silly, but I just read a thread where someone used the word "Shat." It made me curious if this is a commonly used word in Europe. I know I never use it and personally it makes me giggle (little girl at heart;) ).

But it seems that I've always used the word Shit for all tenses, of course excepting for the gerund.

For example:]

Oh No!! The dog shit on the floor!!
    I hope the dog doesn't shit on the floor while we're gone.
  28. scrumpydoo Junior Member

I personally think shit/shat are interchangeable for past tense of defecate. In UK, you hear "shat" more often tho

29. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    Using "shat" is just a way of making the expression a little more "palatable" (read: less offensive).
  30. jimpofic Junior Member

English USA
    Interesting - I don't know anyone here in the U.S. that would say "shat". To me "shat" sounds archaic or pseudo-sophisticated and would be used humorously.
  31. SmallJosie Senior Member

In British English, we use "shat" as the past simple and past participle of the verb "to shit" hehe.

For example, we could use the pleasant term "to shit oneself" which means "to be scared (shitless)":

She shits herself every time the boss calls her into his office.
    I am shitting myself! The boss has just called me into his office.
    I shat myself when the boss said he wanted to see me.
    He has shat himself many times at work ...

It can also have a literal meaning but I would rather not go down that path :p
  32. ghoti

ghoti Senior Member

English USA
    "Shat" is an acceptable past tense according to Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. In the US it's more commonly heard in the Northeast than elsewhere, but it is used sometimes. It's pretty hard to be sophisticated, pseudo or not, with that word! :D

And "shitted" is not a word. The past tense is either "shit" or "shat."
  33. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It would have been useful to search this forum before asking, again, about shat. Relevant threads have now been merged.
  34. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

English (UK)
    I expect you know that this is an expression that is not acceptable in many places - use with great caution. OK in a pub full of men (probably) - not in a drawing-room!
  35. maestrogrande New Member

English - American, Spanish - Mexican
    No, as a linguist I can attest that SHAT has always been the past form of shit since at least the time of Shakespeare. Here is the verb conjugation chart:

36. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    The first entry the OED has for "shat" is from 1929. But it has a little more to say on the matter:
    So it would seem that "shat" is a 19th-century invention, at least according to the OED's lexicologists.

Do you have an example from Shakespeare, Stanley? That would be interesting! Also, welcome to the forum.