"Shaygetz" used to refer to a misbehaving child

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Codinome Shlomo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Codinome Shlomo Senior Member

Portuguese (Brazil)
    Hello.

Is it common to refer to a misbehaving child as a shaygetz in Israel?

Thanks.

2. raful Junior Member

Hebrew
    Today you can find it only in Ultra-Orthodox religious (kharedim) circles

3. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    And yet most people would understand the term... uhmm... at least over age of 30 maybe.

4. raful Junior Member

Hebrew
    There is even an alternative rock band named שייגעצ

5. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    How come the tsadi is not in final form?

6. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    as with many borrowed words that remain as in the original language that end with a final letter, the regular form remains.
    This is most prominent in words that end in p, k.

7. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Yes, that makes sense because סקייפ sounds different to סקייף and מברוכ sounds different to מברוך, but שייגעצ and שייגעץ?

8. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    But the usual Yiddish spelling is שייגעץ and this is also the natural Hebrew spelling.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with the answer to your question, but from 1932 to 1961 in the then Soviet Union, Yiddish was written without final letters. The name of the author Sholem Aleichem, who wrote his own name שלום־עליכם (in the Hebrew spelling), was written שאלעמ-אלייכעמ in Soviet publications during that era (using the usual Yiddish mater lectonis letters to indicate vowel sounds). I don't know if this has anything to do with how the band spells its name, but there might be a connection. Maybe one of the band members asked his grandmother how the word is written in Yiddish and that's when and where she learned to spell? That's pure speculation on my part, of course.

10. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    The regular form [=of the "final" letter] (is being written and that is what) remains.

11. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    Maybe because it's how the band members decided to spell it? :) It reminds me of Metal umlaut.