1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

she <came up> ten dollars short

Discussion in 'English Only' started by thornpig, Apr 13, 2009.

1. thornpig Junior Member

chinese
    When the bank teller counted the money in her drawer, she "came up" ten dollars short.

Does it mean "find"?

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    I don't think that I would replace "came up" with "found," but you appear to have the right idea. The total dollar amount was ten dollars less than what it should have been.

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I think this is American, sounds extremely strange to my BEars:p

4. ms.creant Junior Member

english (canadian)
    in North America, people often use the expression "come up with" to mean to arrive at.

"She came up 10 dollars short " sounds perfectly natural to me. Other examples:

After some thought, he came up with a solution.

After discussing their various points of view, they came up with a compromise.

She came up with the perfect place to go for a vacation.

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    The last 3 sound fine to me, it's just the first one that sounds odd, the second and third ones have the meaning "thought of", the last one has the meaning of 'found/thought of' ...
    The first one is different from the others as it doesn't mean anything to do with thinking/suggesting and it's this meaning that seems strange to me.

6. thornpig Junior Member

chinese
    Thanks, guys!
    A further question: Are there any other phrases can be replaced with "came up" here?

7. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    The only other meaning I can think of is, coming up (i.e. the stairs.. )

"She was on the bottom floor by the main door 10 mins ago, then she came up to the 5th floor"

8. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    "Raise" (as in funding) can be replaced with "come up".

I was only able to come up with $12,000.00 and I needed $15,000.00 to get started so the whole project got killed.