she doesn't have/has

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Martinengo, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Martinengo New Member

Español, Venezuela
    I'm not sure if I got this right.

I mean, when you say she doesn't have a pencil, you cannot say she doesn't has a pencil, right?

She has a pencil
    She doesn't have a pencil
    She hasn't a pencil (I think this one is wrong, but I'm not sure)
    She does have a pencil (I think this one is wrong too, but I'm not sure)

Is there any other exception to use have in she, he or it besides "it/she/he doesn't have"?

Thank you.
  2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    The verb is not conjugated after any modal verb:

She will have...
    She would have...
    She may have...
    She should have...

When "do" is followed by another verb the first verb is conjugated, but not the second:

I don't have...
    She doesn't have
  3. Martinengo New Member

Español, Venezuela
    Sorry, I didn't understand.

She will have is correct or wrong?

She doesn't have is right?, also, when you say for instance, She doesn't know is correct, right?, you wouldn't say She doesn't knows, right?
  4. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    "She will have" is correct (as are the other examples in my last post). "She doesn't know" is correct.

Think of how Spanish treats a sentence like "no puede saber": only poder is conjugated; saber is left in the infinitive form. It's the same in English in a sentence like "she doesn't know." The extra wrinkle in English is that modal verbs like will, would, etc. are invariable, so we don't have separate forms for "I should," "she should," etc. But the verb that follows them is not conjugated: "she should have," not "she should has."
  5. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    Just to answer the other questions:

6. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    The third one is used more than might appear. For example, "I haven't/she hasn't the slightest idea what you're talking about".