She had marred him, if he had wounded her

Discussion in 'English Only' started by John_Doe, Apr 5, 2013.

1. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    I'm not quite sure whether if I understand the sentence in bold correctly. I guess it means 'Even though he had wounded her..., she had marred him [only] for a moment.'.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    The person whose thoughts are being reported thinks that 'his' life was worth as much as hers, or maybe even that his life was worth so much that it was right that he should have what he wanted in his life no matter what harm that did to her and her life.

That is the background to the sentence you are asking about. I agree with your interpretation.
    She had married him for a moment [=for a short length of time] even if he had wounded her for an age [= caused her sorrow for a very long time].

The 'he' of this paragraph is being presented as a extremely self-centered and heartless man.

3. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    After some consideration, I'd like to add something. "Even if he had wounded her..., she had marred him [too]..." I.e it doesn't matter to Dorian that it was for 'a moment' because for him it lasted for "centuries of pain, aeon upon aeon of torture". So Dorian thinks that what he's done to her is justifiable and tantamount to the 'harm' she's inflicted upon him with her bad acting.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    That sounds plausible. What 'bad acting' was she guilty of?

5. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    Well, Dorian brought his friends to the theatre where she did Juliet that evening. Dorian had boasted about her talent, so he was utterly disappointed when he saw her acting not so fascinating as she usually did. "The voice was exquisite, but from the point of view of tone it was absolutely false. It was wrong in colour. It took away all the life from the verse. It made the passion unreal.", etc. That's the only ''crime'' she commited.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013