1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

shed skin (parts of the body)

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by makandés66, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. makandés66 Senior Member

    Old Upper Louisiana
    Midwestern USA English
    Hello, I am translating some information on tympanostomy tubes and post-insertion instructions and I would like to know how to talk about skin shedding within the ear:

    Usually the tubes migrate out as the ear drum skin sheds.

    Usualmente los tubos se desplazan hacía afuera mientras la membrana tímpanica muda piel.

    Is this resaonable? I would like to know if mudar piel could be used for individual parts of the body.
  2. mijoch Senior Member

    British English
    You could google "desprender piel/desprendimiento de la piel".
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. Ilialluna

    Ilialluna Senior Member

    Hola. Yo diría: "Normalmente, los tubos migran al exterior a medida que se desprende la piel del tímpano".
  4. makandés66 Senior Member

    Old Upper Louisiana
    Midwestern USA English
    Muchas Gracias / Moltes Gràcies Mijoch y Ilialluna ;)
  5. mewilson Senior Member

    I think of mudar de piel in the context of large portions of skin, such as in reptiles. In human beings, I think the right verb for "to shed" would be "descamarse," but that may be rather formal...

    Normalmente, los tubitos van desprendiéndose a medida que se descama la piel del tímpano.

Share This Page