1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

She's a little pip, just like her mommy.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Couch Tomato, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    She's a little pip, just like her mommy.
    (Film: This is 40 - United States, 2012)

Does "pip" mean anything without a context? I suppose I sort of know what this means, but I was not able to find a definition which applies to a human being. The person who is referred to as a little pip is a stubborn teenager, one who doesn't listen to her parents.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

2. compaqdrew Senior Member

English - AE
    I think it's slang. Urban dictionary yields

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Hmm, I've certainly heard it long ago. I always had the feeling that it meant something in the area of rambunctious, problematic, annoying, uncontrollable when it was applied to people ... an upstart, perhaps.

The pip is a seed of a fruit, so I can imagine a pip being an annoyance (why else are we breeding seedless fruit), prone to pop out and poke you in the eye. :)

It may (or may not) have some relation to pipsqueak: n (informal) a person or thing that is insignificant or contemptible.

Added: compaqdrew's definitions sound very good to me. Much better than my meandering.

4. Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Senior Member

Russian & Dutch
    Thank you, compaqdrew and Copyright.

5. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I would have thought that since this is a film from the U.S., it would use regular AmE or AmE slang, but I have to say that I've never heard this in AmE. The only slang meaning I'm aware of is BE, in which "She's a pip" can have either a positive or a negative meaning. What with my not being a BE speaker, I don't know how valid it is, but this article does a good job of explaining this expression as I understand it: http://idiomation.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/shes-a-pip/.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013