1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

She's got the look Vs she's beautiful

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Xavier da Silva, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Xavier da Silva Senior Member

Portuguese
    Hello everyone,

Considering the lyrics from Roxette - "she's got the look''.

<< -- excessive quotation deleted -- >>

She's got the look
    What in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue.
    When everything I'll ever do I'll do for you and I go:
    La la la la la she's got the look.''

My question is: Does the expression "she's got the look" mean "she's beautiful''? If not, what does it mean?

Lyrics obtained from: ://letras.mus.br/roxette/34438/

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I guess it means that.

Alternatively, or even alongside that, it might mean something to do with her attitude as well. It could be short for she looks like a particular type of person. "She has the look of a depressed woman" (or a sex-mad woman, I don't know the song!)

Having had a good look at the rest of the lyrics I wonder how you chose which ones to ask about, the whole lot is extremely random. ;) Usual thing with lyrics, you might as well just make your own mind up!

3. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Song lyrics are often vague and don't always mirror the public's usage, so I don't know precisely what "She's got the look" is supposed to mean here, but it tends to mean "She's got the right look", i.e. "Her appearance is right for our purposes" (as a model or an actress, perhaps), "She's got the currently fashionable look", etc. In my usage it is not interchangeable with "She's beautiful": if I saw a beautiful woman I would not say "She's got the look".