shevet

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by chaya, Jul 26, 2006.

1. chaya Senior Member

english (UK) French Spanish Italian
    in the song 'shevet achim gam yachad' I understand 'shevet ' to mean 'sit' (which has a TAV) and not 'tribe' (which has a TET). If this is correct I am puzzled as to why this differs from 'shvu' or 't-shevu' - grammatical explanation please.

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Shevet (שבת) is a noun that might be translated as "sitting". A sit-down strike, for example, is a shvitat shevet (שביתת-שבת) in Hebrew.

A literal translation of shevet ahim might be something like "brothers sitting".

Shvu (שבו) is the imperative form of the verb.

I hope this is helpful.

3. chaya Senior Member

once again thank you nun translator

4. chaya Senior Member

re SHEVET
    thank you for the example SHVITAT SHEVET- where 'shevet' acts as an adjective. I cannot find an English translation for SHEVET except the inadequate ' a sitting-down-meeting ' as 'assembly 'is not always sitting down .
    Could one use 'shevet' (noun = a sitting-down, a seated gathering) in another modern context?

( Of course I know that 'YESHIVA' is the every-day word for a MEETING eg:business, and P'GISHA for meeting eg: friends.)I am curious. Chaya.

5. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    No, it acts as a noun. שביתת שבת is a smichut, and it's why the ה of שביתה changes to ת. If שבת was an adjective, it wouldn't be a smichut and the expression would be שביתה שבת.

As far as I know, שבת in modern Hebrew is found only in fixed expressions, one of them is שביתת שבת. Another expression is כוכב שבת (kochav shevet) = fixed star, as opposite to כוכב לכת (kochav lechet) = planet. For a noun meaning "sitting" we use ישיבה.

6. chaya Senior Member

RE AN ADJECTIVE AND A SMICHUT
    Can you tell me what is the FUNCTIONAL difference between an adjective and a smichut, as they both describe the noun? How would you differentiate these in translation? would it be correct for example to say that smichut would require a hyphen in English? eg: Kupat cholim- a fund for the sick would then become 'sick-fund'.

7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Smichut does not actually describe the noun, so there is no problem of differentiating it from adjectives. It is a noun form, two nouns that together mean something more than each of them together. Some examples:
    בית ספר is house + book (school)
    בני ישראל is sons (of) + Israel
    פגישת עבודה is meeting + work
    הנהלת חשבונות is management (of) + accounts (bookkeeping)

Adjectives that modify the smichut noun form take number and gender from the first of the two nouns. It is also the first of the two that changes form to indicate plurals.

As you can see from the examples, smichut is not usually translated literally, though it may be. In the example of kupat cholim, sick fund would usually not be hyphenated, as far as I know.

8. aries44 Junior Member

English
    Isn't there something like smichut in latin grammer??

9. chaya Senior Member

toda N.T.