1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Shit! as interjection

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Shit :warning: is a vulgar expression of worry, shock, failure, etc.
    If I am not mistaken all Romance languages use it in the same context as well (Merde! Mierda! Merda...)
    Germans, too: Scheiße!
    We Hungarians don't use the word shit as interjection.
    I am a little bit doubtful about Slavic languages (?) I don't think they use it...
    How about your language do you use SH* in the same context as the English, French, Germans...?
    Thanks
    Enc.

2. ilocas2 Senior Member

In Czech hovno can be used as interjection of rejection or astonishment, although it's not so frequent as in Romance languages and German. See here http://cs.wiktionary.org/wiki/hovno#citoslovce

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Interesting, after the Czech example I can recall a Hungarian idiom of rejection using the word sh*, but only as compound, we wouldn't say sh*, but the accusative form of the word Lószart! :warning: [horse shit], only that version is possible, I think.

4. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Encolpius,

While we do use :warn:«σκατά» [ska'ta] (neut. pl.) --> sh*t when we want to describe a situation in which we find ourself in a pattern of bad circumstances, we prefer as an interjection :warn:«γάμησέ τα» ['ɣamiˌse ta] --> lit. f*ck them (the neut. def. article «τα» is enclitic) in similar cases

5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    In Turkish we don't use the word shit in that context.
    We have the interjection: :warning: Hassiktir!

It's not really translatable, but it should suffice to say that it has the root sik- (to f*ck).

6. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: schijt is old, and not common in compounds in Flandres, I think. Rot- is more common, but not that strong.

7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello Apmoy, briefly you don't use it in the same context as English. ;)
    and Thomas, if I understant it properly, you don't use it unlike Germans.

8. Halfdan Junior Member

Canadian English
    Swedish: skit! /ˈɧiːt/ can be used as an interjection and it is quite colloquial.

9. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Japanese can use shit as an interjection, which is くそ kuso. But it's vulgar, the light versions are しまった shimatta (finished/closed/shut down) and もう mou (already).

10. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    In Russian it can be used (Дерьмо! - Der'mo!). But stylistically it is far not the same as English "Shit!", it is much more vulgar and more stong, therefore is used much rarer.
    The closest Russian analog of English "Shit!" is Черт! (Chort! - Devil).

11. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic

the English word "Shit!" is usually translated as اللعنة (Al-La'nah! - Damn!). A
    lso the word أف (Off) is used in standard and colloquial

In Egyptian colloquial we use the expression (يووه YOO-OH)

The three words are NOT rude

12. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Hebrew we could say חרא [khara] which means sh*
    But most people just say the English word שיט [shit].
    And we also use swear words originated from Arabic (that don't mean sh*, I actually don't now what they mean and they are most likely to be changed by Hebrew speakers from their actual origin...) but that's a little lower than using the English.

13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    BCS and Slovenes use something similar as well: Sranje! :warn:

14. Panceltic Junior Member

Additional info for Slovenian: drek! sranje! govno! (a very educated word not in common day use, still some people use it to add a humorous connotation) šit! (the most commonly used, obviously a loanword form English), also used are šajse or šajze (from German). Needless to say, none of the above is appropriate to use! :)

15. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    But Fan! (the devil) and Helvete! (hell) are more common.

16. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

I don't think BCS Sranje! is as strong as the English Shit!, though. I don't think it actually deserves the exclamation mark, the way I use it (mostly as a sign of resignation to some unfortunate circumstances).

There are several other expressions used instead in specific circumstances that have mainly to do with various combinations of the words "f*ck", "d*ck", "p*ssy", "mother" and "you".

17. The_Moonlight

The_Moonlight Junior Member

Polish
    In Polish we don't use the word "shit" as interjection. We have the word ​(jasna) cholera instead.

18. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Hi.

I'd like to know how an excretory word like shit, crap(in English) is vulgarly used in your languages.
    For instance, we have such a word 糞 kuso meaning a shit that can be diversely used as adjective, interjection, noun, verb, adverb and so on.
    (I'm sorry if you mind those disparaging and unpleasant words and yet I'm curious about how such vulgar words that have similar meaning can be used in each language)

----------------------
    Here are each examples in Japanese:

Adjective : あれほど糞なゲームはやったことがない(lit. I've never done that shit game ever) are hodo kuso na ge-mu wa shita koto ga nai.
    It is used for explaining derogatory, irrigating, furious feelings.

Interjection : くそっ、やられた(lit. what the shit, I'm fucked) kuso yarareta.
    Same as above.

Noun : 糞だよ糞、ハハハ(lit. This is a shit, hahaha) kuso dayo kuso hahaha.
    Same as above. but it sometimes points to a single shit, excrement.

Verb : 糞して寝ろ(lit. Shit yourself and go to sleep) kuso shite nero.
    It simply means "to do shit, to excrete".

Adverb : 今日はくっそ暑いぜ(lit. it's shit hot today) kyou wa kusso atsui ze.
    It is usage for emphasis such as on earth, the hell, etc. in English.

Thanks. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. miguell Senior Member

Polonia
    Polaco
    Polish:
    kurwa - it means whore, prostitute but also it is interjection and menas "Fuck!". What's more, it does not mean la curva (Spanish, Italian...)

20. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek shit is «σκατά» [skaˈta] (neut. nom. pl.) < Classical 3rd decl. neut. noun «σκῶρ» skôr, gen. «σκατός» skātós --> muck, excrement (PIE *sk-ōr-, excrement cf Hitt. šakkar, excrement).

A couple of expressions:
    «Δεν είχαμε σκατά, μας ήρθε ένα βαρέλι» [ðen ˈixame skaˈta mas ˈirθe ˈena vaˈɾeli] --> we lacked shit, a whole barrel arrived (it's said in cases when we're already experiencing a difficult situation, and something unexpectedly negative happens, doubling up our misery)

«Σκατά κι απόσκατα» [skaˈta ci aˈposkata] --> shit and more shit (is happening is omitted)

«Κολυμπάω στα σκατά» [kolimˈba.o sta skaˈta] --> I'm swimming in shit (the situation is so miserable, I feel like I'm in deep shit)

21. Diamant7 Senior Member

Català
    In Romance languages these interjections (all meaning shit! literally) are common: merda! (Catalan, Italian, Portuguese), ¡mierda! (Spanish), merde! (French).

In Catalan and Spanish you can also say vulgarly cagar-la (ca) and cagarla (es), literally 'to shit it', meaning 'to do something wrong'. Or cagar-se en algú (ca), cagarse en alguien (es), meaning 'to despise someone'. For example, ¡me cago en tu puta madre! (es), 'I shit on your fucking mother!'.

22. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you for reply!

----------------------
    As for several idioms in Japanese:
    (Including words I've looked up)

1. ~ももない ~(something) mo kuso mo nai = Something doesn't count at all (lit. there is no shit nor something)

2. 味噌も糞も一緒 miso mo kuso mo issyo = It's all same to me (lit. Miso[Japanese seasoning] and shit are all the same)

3. 糞喰らえ kuso kurae = fuck you (lit. eat your shit)

4. 糞の役にも立たない kuso no yaku nimo tatanai = Definitely useless (lit. It's not useful for the shit)

5. 目くそ鼻くそを笑う me kuso hana kuso o warau = The pop calling the kettle black (lit. dirt in eyes ridicules dirt in nose)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  23. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, your taboo-like topics are really inspiring... :D
    I think the situation in Hungarian is pretty the same as in Japanese

shit game -- szar játék
    what the shit -- mi a szar!
    this is a shit -- ez szar
    shit yourself and go to sleep -- I don't get "kuso shite" here -- is that an insult only? we have something similar -- szard össze magad!
    it's shit hot --- szar meleg van

I need to add there are two words for shit in Hungarian, so far I was not able to find another language which would distinguish
    between solid feces (szar) and diarrhea feces (fos - I find it even more vulgar than the first one)...how about Japanese?

Do check this thread you might like it.

It might be an Asian thing...the only language I can recall is Romani (Gypsy), they use that idiom: Chas muro kulo (lit.: eat my shit) as insult.

24. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you for more information, Encolpius.
    I've already checked that thread. (it really inspired me:))

Kuso shite and kuso dayo only have their literal meaning. (NOT used for idioms)
    Kuso shite means "shit oneself[excrete] and", kuso dayo means "this is a shit/crap/feces"

I'm interested that Hungarian has similar usage for a term shit like Japanese.

No, there is no distinction of excrement's type in Japanese. I've heard this distinction for the first time. :eek:

25. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    In German, the most frequently used excrement-based interjection is probably Scheiße - obviously related to English 'shit', and pronounced something like シャイセ, perhaps (ß is pronounced like a voiceless 's'). It's not really the worst taboo swearword and what makes it quite useful is the fact that it can be combined with just about any other word to form compounds: Scheißwetter - 'f***ing weather', scheißkalt, 'f***ing cold', scheißegal, 'f***ing unimportant'*, Scheißpolitiker - 'f***ing politicians' - we are very creative when it comes to forming these kinds of compounds but I'd better stop now... Another word, slightly stronger and not used in compounds but based on the same kind of excrements is Kacke; both Kacke and Scheiße can be combined with other swearwords to make them stronger (verdammte Kacke..., lit. 'damned shit', for instance). Anyway, the 'swearing culture' here in Northern Germany is a bit more 'restrained', less creative, less impulsive than in Southern Germany and Austria - Austrians and Bavarians could probably add a few more expressions...

* or, maybe 'can't give a shit'... something like that, slightly more agressive than 'whatever'

26. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you for reply!
    I found the way in German and Japanese is a bit similar. :)
    The most frequently used word is くそkuso. but this word is much vulgar. (at least I think this way)
    It can also combined with another word to form compounds for exaggerating, derogation, emphasis, etc.

You can see some examples: クソガキkusogaki(fxxxing kid), 下手くそhetakuso(fxxxing incapable), クソ野郎kusoyarou(motherfxxxer)

We have another words in reference to the excrement(e.g. unko, unchi, ben, etc.) but they're rarely used to form compounds. only kuso can be used with a large number of other words for emphasizing, derogation, etc. (I've written those examples above)

27. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    kusogaki would be "szaros kölyök" in Hungarian, it is rather a collocation.... Scheißkind? in German, I know only Scheißkerl...

And we should emphasized here excrement-focused topics are not to taboo in Japan like here in Christian word...so don't feel ashamed and participate... :D

28. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    I've never heard Scheißkind either... There are some regional terms like Blach, Göre, but nothing strong enough for this thread, nothing excrement-based...