shit or get off the pot

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by darnaiz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Hello friends. I'm trying to translate some "Nip Tuck" episodes (season 3). And Julia tells it to her ex-husband when they are "hard-talking".
    shit or get off the pot
    Cuold someone help me? Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Abalkhibeth Senior Member

Mexico City
    ¡¡¡Caga o quítate de la taza/nica/bacín!!! Una forma de decir; ¡Haz lo que tienes que hacer o lárgate!
  3. ¡¡¡Gracias!!! Thanks!!!
  4. jcminthedriversseat Senior Member

Waco, Texas
    USA - English
    La expresión quiere decir, "Tome acción o deja de hablar de ello."
  5. xtinie Member

English- US
    Hey all- I want to know the best translation for "shit or get off the pot" aka "take action or move along." Is there any phrase in spanish that has the same meaning? Als0 - would a literal translation make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  6. rodsa Senior Member

¿"O lo tomas o lo dejas"?

Hope it helps.

7. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    That sounds to me more like "take it or leave it". That's an ultimatum, not the intent here.
  8. gengo

gengo Senior Member

This English saying (the non-vulgar equivalent of which is "fish, or cut bait") is used to mean "either you do it yourself, or don't hinder others from doing it." I think the Spanish equivalent is "Ni raja ni presta el hacha." That saying literally means "he won't chop, and he won't lend the ax."
  9. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    It reminds me a bit of "ser como el perro del hortelano (que ni come ni deja comer)".
  10. rodsa Senior Member

I've never heard that expression, I guess it might be a LatAm Spanish one with several versions depending on each country:

11. rodsa Senior Member

Sí, a mí también me ha recordado esa expresión.

12. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Two other sayings that are fairly common in English and have almost the same meaning are:

Get on board or get out of the way.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
  13. rodsa Senior Member

En español ibérico hay una expresión "poner el huevo" que podría ser aplicable en este caso: "¡pon el huevo de una vez!".