1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

shop

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by JamesM, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Term: shop

Your definition or explanation: noun, used as a shorthand term for a visit to a shop or "shopping visit".

Example: Please complete our survey within 5 days of this shop.

One or more places you have seen the term: My most recent Smart and Final receipt.

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes _X_ No ___

This jumped out at me when I looked at my receipt. Has anyone else seen "shop" used in this way?

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Not exactly, MrM. We do use shop to mean 'shopping trip':
    What are you doing tomorrow?
    I'm going for an all-day shop in Manchester.

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I don't have a problem with it as a verb. It's this particular use of it as a noun that's odd to me.

Ewie, would you say something like "I found a lot of great bargains on my last shop in Manchester"?

4. Welshie

Welshie Senior Member

France
    England, English
    Hmm not sure about that sentence. But "I went for a shop" doesn't shock me at all. But the example "Please complete our survey within 5 days of this shop" doesn't sound right to me. It just makes me think of a shop as in the building..

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    No, I don't think I would, for some mysterious reason. I can only (at the moment) imagine myself using it together with the verb go:
    I'm going for a good shop when I get there
    As soon as we got there we went for a shop

(P.S. I forgot to say that, as for Welshie, the way it's used in your example sounds really weird to me.)

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    shop (noun) = shopping trip?

In contexts such as "the weekly shop" this is familiar. It has many examples in Google and in Google News.

I like <small local shop> for convenience, but I go to <name of the supermarket I like> for a big shop.

7. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Thanks for the feedback. Would you say "my last big shop at <name of the supermarket> was about a month ago"?

I'm just trying to pin down this combination of "last shop", which strikes me as very odd. I would understand "for a big shop", although I can't say I've ever heard anyone here say it, but "last shop" sounds like a physical location to me rather than an event.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I did my last big shop at <name of supermarket>.

I did my last shop at <>. :cross:
    Using "last shop", alone, sounds odd to me. It's hard to comment because this is very routine conversation that I wouldn't really notice, and wouldn't be writing down.

9. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Everyone who seems to find the noun "shop" familiar, or something they use, for a "shopping trip" or "visit to a store," instead of for the store itself, seems to be British, although Mr. M's receipt is presumably American. I've never encountered this either. I'm not an enthusiastic shopper, although I do buy groceries once a week; perhaps it is used among Americans who enjoy this activity. But I can't say that I've ever noticed it in speech or print, and it is so grating that I think I would have—it's like a "handful of empty" or a "new kind of clean."