1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Shorted your company

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by jujusa, May 6, 2013.

1. jujusa New Member

Oxford, United Kingdom
    français - France
    Hello there!

I need a little hand to get the meaning of a sentence I have heard (and read with the subtitles) in a TV show: "I took my initial investment, and shorted your company to the tune of 1/2 billion shares."
    Here is my guess: "J'ai repris mon investissement de départ, et raccourci (??) votre compagnie à la hauteur d'1/2 milliard d'actions"
    Doesn't really make sense in French :(

Thanks for your help!

2. CarlosRapido

CarlosRapido Senior Member

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    et allégé votre compagnie (à la hauteur?) d'1/2 milliard d'actions ??

3. Olof

Olof Senior Member

Glasgow, UK
    French - France
    Bonjour,
    Au vu du contexte, j'aurais tendance à dire : partager ou diviser.
    Mais j'ai trouvé ceci sur le site wordreference : vendre à découvert

4. jujusa New Member

Oxford, United Kingdom
    français - France
    Merci Carlos et Olof, vos réponses m'aident beaucoup. "Allégé" sonne bien, mais c'est vrai que "vendre à découvert" m'a fait rappeler qu'en bourse, on peut parier sur la chute d'un indice, et du coup vendre des actions que l'on a pas encore achetées !!!

5. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    In the stock market, to "short" means to sell a security that the seller does not own. Short sellers believe that the price of the stock is going to go down; they assume that they will be able to buy the stock at a lower amount than the price at which they sold short.

6. jujusa New Member

Oxford, United Kingdom
    français - France
    Exactly! I have found the French version of this episode and here is the translation: "J'ai repris mon investissement de départ, et j'ai fait une vente à découvert sur 500 millions de parts de votre société."
    So, Olof was right :)
    Thank you guys!