1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Shut the fuck up

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by cacona, Sep 18, 2006.

1. cacona New Member

Spanish, Argentina
    I have been looking for the most precise idiomatic translation of this English expression.

I found:
    chiudere il becco, faccia di culo

but it sounds to me like just "shut up", I'd like something more rude, aggressive... low class

'The structure of a language is a powerful tool for understanding a culture' (Sagarin, 1968: 18). Then swearing, as part of the language, can be also a form of the culture. Swearing is, if not a universal feature of human communication, at least common to most societies and civilizations. There is also great variation in what constitutes swearing in different cultures, or at least in the way it is expressed.(1)

peace out,
    cacona

(1) www . accurapid . com / journal / 37swear.htm

2. [ITA]Shank Senior Member

Italiano
    - Chiudi il culo!!!

Or more strong:

- Chiudi quel fottuto culo!!!
    - Chiudi quel ca**o di culo!!!

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    There is no need to asterisk stuff out, just put the appropriate number of :warn:'s next to it

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    And the appropriate number of :warn: 's can be determined by reading the last post in this thread, which is always the top sticky at the IT-EN forum page. :)

Elisabetta

6. matrox New Member

italy
    Shut a :warn:fuck..what's the meaning??

7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  8. kimberini Senior Member

United States; English
    I have actually never heard that in AE.

I have heard "shut the f*ck up," but the "the f*ck" isn't what you are quieting because you can also say, "sit the f*ck down" or "calm the f*ck down" or "get the f*ck out of here".

I do not know/understand the origin but it is added to provide emphasis to common exclamations such as, "shut up", "sit down", "calm down", "get out of here."

9. matrox New Member

italy
    Thank you guyss!!!