Si amas algo, déjalo libre. Si vuelve es tuyo, si no, nunca lo fue

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by BichoMalo, May 7, 2008.

1. BichoMalo New Member

Hello, this is my first post but i have been consulting Wordreference for more than two years.

I would like to find a correct translation for this popular phrase:

"Si amas algo, déjalo libre. Si vuelve es tuyo, si no, nunca lo fue"

Thank you :)
  2. tatis Senior Member

Spanish, México
    If you love something, set it free; if it comes back it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was.

Bienvenido al foro :)!
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  3. BichoMalo New Member

Thank you!

4. franmadrid Senior Member

spanish madrid
    This thread reminds me of something quite funny I once heard:

"If you love somebody, let them go. If they don´t come back, hunt them down and shoot them" :D :D :D
  5. Cared Member

Mexico español
    Very funny saying franmadrid, that's what we should do with that bunch of....hehehe
  6. mlj Senior Member

Can i say?
    If you love someone LET IT FREE..if it returns is your, it doesn't never was your.

I appreciate any correction.

Thanks in advance!
  7. Bilma Senior Member

Spanish Mexico
  8. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Hola mlj,

You're almost there!

You can say:

If you love someone, set them free. If they return, they're yours; if they don't, they never were. (I used "them" and "they" because we're speaking in general about both men and women.)

Saludos :)
  9. mlj Senior Member

Thanks, but I have two questions:
    1- Why did you put "if they return" if you started the sentence say "if you love someone" ?? Is "someone" plural in this case?

2-What is the diference between "set it free" and "let it free" ? When I choose "let it free" I thought in "let it be" (déjalo ser) so I interpreted that in this case I could use the same construction. But I have seen "set it free" in a lot of translation for this methapor so I am confused now.
  10. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Hi Laura,

I'm sorry; I should have explained this better. :eek:

1. I know... we have this grammatical dilemma in English! "Someone" is always singular and gender-neutral.

However, the only singular and neutral pronoun we have is "it", which is not used when you're talking about people.

The traditional rule in English grammar has always been to use the masculine pronouns "he", "him", and "his" to mean both men and women when you're speaking in general terms.

Then, as people began to embrace female equality and political correctness, they started writing things like "his/her", "he/she", etc., to avoid being sexist.

Nowadays, it's becoming more common to use "they" and "them" to avoid the whole gender issue altogether.

It's still not considered proper English yet (you'd never use it in a legal document or in formal writing, for example), but it is accepted in everyday colloquial speech and writing. (I think it may become standard usage some day. Whichever way you look at it, it's an interesting linguistic evolution.)

2. "Let it free" isn't really standard English where I'm from. You can
    say "set it free" or "let it go free"; both phrases mean "déjalo en libertad."

"Let it be" = déjalo ser o déjalo en paz.

Espero que mis explicaciones tengan sentido :)
  11. mlj Senior Member

Your explanation was very comprehensible! Thank you very much!
  12. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina (somewhere in the planet Urban)
    If you love something set it free, if it returns to you it is yours, otherwise it never was.
  13. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

¡De nada! I'm happy to help.

Ahora se me ha pegado esa canción de Sting, "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" ;)
  14. mlj Senior Member

Es verdad! a mí me ayuda mucho recordar letras de canciones para grabarme frases, claro que a veces no ayuda porque ciertos autores se dan licencias que están permitidas para la lirica musical, pero que no es así en la gramática general.
  15. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina (somewhere in the planet Urban)
    Sï, tene mucho cuidado con las letras del rock! sobre todo con pearl jam! he dont!! dice