si la has visto/la viste

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by dragsterwave, Apr 25, 2014.

1. dragsterwave Senior Member

ტაი ენა- Thai

In this context i'm wondering if both forms can be used?

Context: te mandé una imagen por mail, no sé si la viste/ la has visto

Thank you
  2. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Español - Spanish (Spain)
    You'll hear native speakers using both, I prefer "la has visto".

3. logan_1974 Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    Both are correct, but the meaning is slightly different.

"la viste" means that you saw it some time ago (probably at the time it was sent).

"la has visto" means "some time before now", it doesn´t matter if it has been seen recently or some time ago.

Anyway as I said the difference is very slight, and very often both are used indistinctly. There is a preference for "la has visto" in Spain, but in American Spanish it´s more common "la viste".

I hope that helps.
  4. _SantiWR_ Senior Member

Spanish - Spain

For those of us who make a distinction between the preterite and the present perfect it depends on when did you send the image (this morning?, December 1998?) and when do you expect the other person to have seen it or have had the chance to see it (at the time you sent it?, between then and now?)
  5. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    The sentence with "la has visto" would hardly ever be used outside Spain.
  6. Aviador

Aviador Senior Member

Santiago de Chile (a veces)
    Castellano de Chile
    Here, in Chile, "outside of Spain", la has visto is a perfectly natural construction and the one I would have personally used in this case. For us here, it conveys the idea of an action that extends its effect to the present as opposed to la viste.
  7. _SantiWR_ Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    La has visto? (till now)
    La viste? (back then)

Both seems equally possible to me, I don't understand why you're ruling out the preterite.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. Aviador

Aviador Senior Member

Castellano de Chile
    I don't mean to "rule out" the pretérito perfecto simple at all. I just say that in this particular case I would have opted for the compuesto because it in my variety of the language it permits to establish a closer connection with present, it better fits the idea of an action that began sometime in the past and extends to the present, which is the way we normally use the compuesto here. I actually consider the perfecto simple a valid option too, depending on what one wants to express.
    An example of this, maybe not exactly parallel but maybe clearer to explain all this, is the following:

• ¿Viste la última película de Shyamalan? (The film is not in the cinemas anymore)
    • ¿Has visto la última película de Shyamalan? (The film is still in the cinemas)
    This is not to say that the two constructions could not be interchangeably used, but that maybe some would prefer one over the other.
  9. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    It seems that I was wrong, then.
  10. flljob

flljob Senior Member

México español
    En Mexico se diría:
    no sé si ya la viste
    no sé si no la has visto

no sé si la has visto, sonaría a español de España.
    no sé si la viste, se refiere al momento específico en que leíste tu correo y que probablemente no volverás a tener la oportunidad de verla.
  11. Aviador

Aviador Senior Member

Castellano de Chile
    Yes, but remember that what I say does not apply to all varieties of Spanish in the Americas. A notable case is the "Rioplatense" dialect, in which the compuesto is only marginally used. In the same line, in certain areas of Andean South America, the preterito simple is almost never used. It is a really complicated issue :(.

De acuerdo, si agregamos adverbios la cosa se facilita (y me atrevería decir que ese no tiene casi una función adverbial), pero ¿cómo se percibe el uso del pretérito simple y del compuesto en sí en México? De bote pronto, me parece que coincidimos en el uso, pero me gustaría que abundaras en eso.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014