si respira un'aria di benessere

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by christin_august_88, Oct 17, 2010.

1. christin_august_88 Senior Member

Chinese
    Si parla di italiani in difficoltà, di redditi sempre più bassi, di precarietà e pessima qualità del lavoro, eppure nel mondo enogastronomia si respira un'aria benessere e godimento totali.

It talks about Italians in great difficulty of low income, jod security and an awful quality of work and yet they are splashing out a lot of money in the world of wine and food.

Would splashing/spending a lot of money on this context work?

Thanks in advance

2. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    You've taken a few liberties at the end of the phrase...;) (and so have I) :D

One hears about Italians being in dire straits, about lowering incomes, waning job security and dismal quality of work. Yet in the wine and food industry the mood is buoyant.

3. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hello Christin,

I think "to splash" means "to spend a fortune" and, personally, I'd not use it within this context.

Though, I believe that, reading between the lines, the sentence leads to another meaning than how the Italians spend their money: the sentence highlights a precise field, not Italians' habits.

I would say:

"... in spite of that, the enogastronomic field still retains healthiness trends ..."

In addition, the Italian sentence is missing a preposition:

"...eppure nel mondo enogastronomico si respira un'aria di benessere e godimento totali"

even if, "godimento" is too generic (always according to my opinion of course)

Hope it helps :)

4. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian

Hi Teerex,

Yes, we are on the same page ;-)

Well, that is ... you started reading before me!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    I'm not sure what page that is ;)

6. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Come on, you are joking :) Teerex!

7. christin_august_88 Senior Member