SIDA, about noise prevention, not AIDS

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by HallePuppy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hi! I have a very strange on in a medical text I am translating.

"Teenagers often enjoy and are fed damaging levels of noise. Preventive SIDA such as earplugs can help. So can turning down the volume."

I have searched and searched, and can find nothing that tells me what this "SIDA" might be. I can only think of translating the phrase as something like "noise protectors, such as earplugs, can help."

Can anyone shed any light on this? The author is Canadian--if that is any help.

:O

2. OGalati Senior Member

Argentina
    Castellano
    "SID" could stand for Sound Isolation Device. I don't know about "A".
    "A such as ..." is a wrong construction, isn't it?
    I'm just guessing

3. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hm. You may be right. Leaving off the "A" seems to open up some other possibilities. I found a pair of "Sound Isolating Earphones" on Amazon, and there is a "Sound Interface Device" being used in some advanced technology. I would almost be willing to bet that the author's word processor automatically changed SID to SIDA without his being aware of it. In the context of a sentence recommending the use of earplugs, and a section of hearing damage caused by noise, I'm guessing that you are right about what it means. If not, surely you have to be very close! Wonder what that would be called in Spanish, now...maybe "dispositivo de aislamiento del sonido," since it mentions earplugs in the same sentence.

Thank you so much!

:)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    There seems to exist a "dispositivo de aislamiento sonoro".