1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Sierra Otomi/Otomí/Hñähñu: Skunk

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by badaracs, Aug 3, 2010.

1. badaracs Junior Member

Pennsylvania, USA
    USA - English
    This question is "way out there", but I have solid faith in the boundless resources of the WordReference community! :O)

I'm hoping someone can help me translate the phrase "skunk children" (or "children of the skunk") into Sierra Otomí (Hñähñu).

My best research efforts located the Otomí word "'ánin" ("skunk") at the following web page:
    http://www.native-languages.org/otomi_animals.htm

...but I'm not sure this is strictly "Sierra Otomí", and I really would like to have the full phrase: "skunk children."

Can anyone help? Thanks!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hats'i badaracs,
    Otomí de la Sierra dialect = 49,300 speak as it as a first-language (2007) ; of which 4,700 are monolinguals.
    Many of whom are not literate, so not sure what chance you have of them contributing on WR forums. Perhaps this other website may be of some help to your search.

3. badaracs Junior Member

Pennsylvania, USA
    USA - English
    Thank you, L'irlandais.

I did see some old activity (posts) by Otomi speakers, but they date back to 2005-ish. I guess those folks aren't online anymore.

Thank you for the website. I didn't find anything conclusive, but it would seem that the phrases in Mezquital Otomi would be...
    'ñäit'u̱ = hijo de zorrillo (child of skunk)
    'ñäi‘be̱to = nieto de zorrillo (grandchild of skunk)

What I'm really looking for is Sierra (Eastern/Huehuetla) Otomi...which may be quite different.

Anyhow, thank you!!

4. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    No worries,
    Personally, I feel these forums are a little too ridgid to be of use to endangered languages. (With the idea of one question per discussion for example.)
    Anyways, I do hope you manage to catch up with some Sierra (Eastern/Huehuetla) Otomi out there on the World-Wide-Web.