Signage design - שקל חדש

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by foxtrott, Feb 14, 2013.

1. foxtrott New Member

slovenian
    Hi,

I'm doing some signage design with a font made specifically for this purpose. There are some words in languages other than english, but I didn't want to use generic fonts because it wouldn't fit nicely with the english signs.
    In the end, I drew the signs, immitating the pictures of words. Please let me know if the hebrew is right and if it's easy to read.

Thank you in advance!

Asia_test-10.jpg

2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    The fonts are correct, but the text should be written from right to left:
    שקל חדש
    That mean- all the seven letters (including the space in the middle) in reverse order.

3. foxtrott New Member

slovenian
    Thank you so much for the reply. Can't always trust wikipedia and Google Translate :) I have also fixed the font, it didn't look hebrew enough before, I believe the letters were too high and too round, hopefully this is better.

Asia_test-10.jpg

4. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I actually think it looked fine as it was before (the font that is, not the direction of writing). All the languages have their fonts slightly stretched vertically and it looks natural when Hebrew is made to look the same way. In the second attempt the Hebrew seems to stand out as being too small. However, I should mind my own business, it's your choice after all.

Nevertheless I should point out a minor language issue. The Hebrew says literally 'New Shekel', rather than Israeli new shekel. It's just that the other languages that I can read all contain the country's name along with the currency, so I'm just pointing that out in case you want the same standard all the way through.

5. foxtrott New Member

slovenian
    Thank you for great insight. I would be very grateful if you could write down the whole sign in hebrew - Israeli New Shekel, so it would be the same as with others.
    I also agree with your comments about the size. The ratio between width and height in latin is more inclined towards height, while in hebrew it seems pretty equal. So. using the same width as in latin made hebrew too small. I will certainly fix that!

6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    שקל ישראלי חדש

7. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    i too preferred the first attempt.
    Looks reallt good and i wish you could provide a full signage of the hebrew alphabet :)