signing-on fee

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by firecat, Nov 24, 2013.

1. firecat New Member

Spanish - Puerto Rico
    I was translating a legal text (English>Spanish) and have been having trouble with this term, "signing-on fee". I know what it means but I don't know the term in Spanish. Since it is a contract I need to make sure the term in Spanish doesn't have any extra connotations that can create a problem later. I was thinking something like "Pago de Afiliación" or "Pago de Inscripción", but I'm not sure.

The term was in the Fees and Payment section of the contract.
    Here is the context: "...whithin 14 days of receipt of the Player of the same, plus VAT, __% of any signing-on fee (gross figure) received by the Player on joining a new club during the Term of this Agreement;..."

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. A player is joining a club during the term of the mentioned agreement, which requires a payment on signing of the arrangement, which will be probably followed by periodical payments.

"Pago/cuota de inscripción" is correct.

3. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    José Manuel Rosón Bravo, may very well be right. I'd like a little more context though. What type of contract is this? Is it for a sports team or joining just a gym or something where membership is common?

If it's the former, I'd say maybe you could use something like: pago/cuota de contratación o quizás fichaje. I've seen fichar used a lot for sports teams.

Hope this helps a bit,
    Perrito

4. "Cuota de fichaje", if we were talking about a sport team.

"Cuota de contratación" is also correct Spanish, but sounds awkward (in Spain at least).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013