signo de la charretera

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Brasidas, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Brasidas New Member

Hola a todos,

Estoy intentando traducir al ingles este termino medico usado, creo, en la diagnosis de luxaciones de hombro. Me gustaria saber si alguien tiene alguna sugerencia al respecto. Gracias de antemano.
  2. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Podría ser squared off shoulder.

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Creo que es una luxación de hombro = shoulder dislocation.
  4. Jim986

Jim986 Senior Member

New Zealand English
    Hi. Yes, of course it's a dislocated shoulder: to be exact its a glenohumeral anteroinferior luxation. The point is that the diagnostic sign of this dislocation is called "hombro en charretera" or "el signo de la charretera" in Spanish medical jargon. It doesn't seem to have a name in English: in the literature I have consulted the symptoms are described anatomically: for example "dimple in the skin below the shoulder joint and the head of the humerus that can be palpated indicate anterior dislocation of the shoulder". This is the "signo de la charretera". If anybody knows a shorter term English-speaking doctors may use I would be delighted to know it. Jim.
  5. Jim986

Jim986 Senior Member

New Zealand English
    Hola de nuevo. Siguiendo la sugerencia de Bocha he encontrado esto:

Anterior shoulder dislocation (95-98% of ED dislocations)
    • Arm is held in slight abduction and external rotation.
    • Shoulder is "squared off" (ie, boxlike) with loss of deltoid contour compared with contralateral side.
    • Humeral head is palpable anteriorly (subcoracoid region, beneath the clavicle).
    • Patient resists abduction and internal rotation and is unable to touch the opposite shoulder.
    • Compare bilateral radial pulses to help rule out vascular injury.
    The site is: ´

I guess an English-speking practitioner could indeed write in a diagnosis -shoulder "squared off" indicating anterior luxation ...etc.-. But the presence of the quotation marks above suggests that it may not be generally accepted terminology.