1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

siksi

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Vitalore, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Vitalore Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hey. I'd like to ask about something that's been bothering me in the finnish language. It's the "siksi, että" thing. I know it is translate as "because", but I want to know if there are exceptions for the rule.

You see, look at this examples:
    Työpaikan hankkiminen elämänsä parantumiseksi. (The getting of a job for his life's improvement)
    Voisimme jopa antaa hänen voittaa hänen ilokseen. (We could let him win for his happiness (so he can get happy))

I want to know if you can use siksi, with the että, in the same manner. Kinda like this:

Haluaisin asettaa ohjelman siksi, että se toimii. (I'd like to set the program in a way, that it works.)
    Hän aikoo tehdä poikkeuksen siksi, että hän pystyy tulemaan. (He plans to create an exception for it, so he can come (literal translation).

It just seems logical for me, but I don't know if it can be used that way. Will Finns always read these two above examples' "siksi, että" constructions as "because" at all times? I, personally, have never seen siksi used in that manner. Can it be done?

Thanks.

2. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Hi Vitalore,

Generally siksi (että) means sen tähden, siitä syystä = "because".

Your two examples are typical sentences where we use the translative case.

Also siksi is the translative form of the pronoun se. (Fortunately it isn't seksi).

On the other hand, siksi can also mean "so": Asia on siksi tärkeä että... (the matter is so important that...)

The third possibility to translate siksi is "until": Hän odotti siksi kunnes kaikki olivat poistuneet. (He waited until everybody had left.)

There are even more different examples of using siksi but I don't want to confuse you anymore.

3. Vitalore Senior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    You didn't exactly answer my question with that post. Could you be more direct?

4. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Generally siksi (että) means "because" but there are several exceptions, as I tried to explain.
    It is possible that the authors of these two sentences had in mind something else than "because" but it's impossible to know.

These sentences might have a different meaning:

Hän aikoo tehdä poikkeuksen siksi (= siihen mennessä), että hän pystyy tulemaan.

"He plans to make an exception until he can come."

Haluaisin asettaa ohjelman siksi, että se toimii.
    Without further context it's very hard to guess what the author of this sentence has meant to say. Siksi here might mean sellaiseksi but it's impossible to know.

If it's still unclear, please ask again. Maybe other Finns can explain this better.

5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    My understanding (I'm not completely sure if it's correct) is that:

1. "Haluaisin asettaa ohjelman siksi/sellaiseksi, joka toimii" = I would like to set the program to something that works.

2. "Haluaisin asettaa ohjelman niin, että se toimii" = I would like to set the program in such a way that it works. [Same meaning as 1, just differently phrased]

3. "Haluaisin asettaa ohjelman siksi, että se toimii" = I would like to set the program because/until it works. [This is an odd sentence in English, because you normally need another complement for the verb "set"; I don't know if the same is true for asettaa.]

Vitalore, does this help answer your question?