Silent standards

Discussion in 'English Only' started by biggolf, Mar 9, 2013.

1. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Hello all,

I came across this term "silent standards" in a novel I'm reading (and translating).
    Here's the context.

[ With Eph he felt comfortable. Even in silence - especially in silence. His mom was too perfect, too observant, too kind - her silent standards, all for his "own good," were impossible to meet, and he knew, in a strange way, that from the moment he was born, he had disappointed her. ]

My understanding is that it has something to do with her expectation, but what exactly does this mean? Is it something that she expect him to do or to be without telling him straight or is it some sort of rules she secretly impose on him. Please help.

Thanks a bunch. :)

EDIT: forget to give credit to the source: It's a novel called The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro / Chuck Hogan

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    That's what I'd read it to mean, too. :) Silent standards - ones that you don't articulate, but expect a person to meet.

3. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Hello biggolf, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

>Is it something that she expect him to do or to be without telling him straight?

Yes, I think that this just about covers it. It's not a set phrase.
    You might think of her standards as existing, although never being voiced; in this way, he would have to deduce them (as well as their existence).
    This is why his way of knowing of her disappointment is described as a strange way. :) (Cross-posted with dreamlike)

4. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Thank you dreamlike and Beryl. That was very helpful. Your answers confirm what I thought originally. Just need to hear it from native speakers. Thanks! :)

5. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Please credit the novel too. :)

6. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Hi again, Beryl. Just edited my original post. Thank you again :)