Silver Linings Playbook

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Sacarino, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sacarino New Member

Hi guys:

How could we translate david O. russell's last film's title "Silver Lining Playbook into Spanish?
    Thanks a lot!!
  2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
  3. Lost Calypso Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Yes, that's the title used in Spanish, but I guess it's just a marketing decision. I have not seen the movie yet, but could anyone please explain what does this phrase mean?
    Thank you so much!
  4. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Possibly a reference to the expression "Every cloud has a silver lining".
    Maybe the film title refers to 'stories with happy endings'. [?]

Pure guesswork, I'm afraid.
  5. Ozy-Mandy New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Maybe we could say something like "Manual de estrategias para el lado positivo", "... para el lado bueno de las cosas". Or perhaps, "Compendio de estrategias para la esperanza" or "El libro del lado positivo".

Something like that.
  6. Lost Calypso Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Thank you so much to both of you. Didn't know that expression. Thanks again!
  7. Alec Haskins Senior Member

Argentina Spanish-English
    Sorry for giving my view so late in time; I have just watched the film and now the film title seems clearer to me: Silver lining, as somebody else has said, is the typical "a cloud with a silver lining" meaning the good side of things, and "Playbook" I think is related in this case with the fact that the character's father is a bookie who keeps all his records in a so-called "playbook". When compounded together I fell the title refers to the bets one has to make to achieve "the good side" of things.