1. Valkyrie Junior Member

USA
    United States; English
    Hi,

What's sinéresis? I don't know a sentence to use it in, but it's a poetry term and it has something to do with diphthongs.

Thanks!

2. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hola Valkyrie:

Acá lo que dice Wiki sobre Sinéresis:

"In linguistic, synaeresis (Greek συναίρεσις) is the contraction of two vowels into a diphtong (or long vowel). If synaeresis is used against convention, it may serve as a rhetorical figure (a metaplasm). The opposite phenomenon is known as diaeresis.
    In historical linguistics, such contractions often result after the regular loss of a consonant that used to separate the two vowels. In this case, the resulting vowel or diphthong will typically carry a circumflex intonation."

Saludos,

3. Valkyrie Junior Member

USA
    United States; English
    Thanks!

I didn't think to try wikipedia....Next time I will, though.

4. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hi Valkyrie:

By the way, in Spanish, according to Wiki, synaeresis actually has the same meaning:

Sinéresis:

"La Sinéresis o sinicesis es, en métrica, el recurso que permite ligar las vocales de un hiato deshaciéndolo, para lo cual se debilita el timbre de la vocal más débil a fin de crear un diptong artificial con el propósito de disminuir en uno el cómputo total de sílabas del verso. Es lo contrario de la diéresis, pero, de forma distinta a esta, no se señala con ningún signo gráfico especial."

Again, greetings!

5. unspecified

unspecified Senior Member

Boston, MA, USA
    English, USA
    An example, if it helps, of an artificial synaeresis is "o'er" instead of "over."

In poetry, it's used to change the number of syllables to fit some scheme. For example, instead of saying "Ahora que te vas," the weakest vowel (that's present in a diphthong) is almost completely disregarded ("Ara que te vas").

Diéresis is splitting up what would normally be a diphthong (and in Spanish, it's marked with an umlaut). For example, the ü in vergüenza.