2) Aunque, por ejemplo, sin ir más lejos, el último post de Salvador viene
    > a decir lo mismo

3) Sin ir más lejos, creo que el Greggo postea ahora bajo el apodo de
    Xavier quien gentilmente me invitó en público a pasear por Benidorm
    después de sicoanalizarme en el intercambio con algunos españoles un
    tanto colifatos.

2. diegodbs

diegodbs Senior Member

sin ~ más lejos. 1. loc. adv. Sin ser necesario buscar más datos o informes que los que están a la vista.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados​
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  3. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
  4. lazzerini Member

UK (English)
    I'm confused about this as well, surely those two explanations have quite different meanings?

I suppose the main question I would need clarifying on this is that "sin ir más lejos" does not translate as "without going any further" in English, which you might think it would.can anyone advise if this is the case?

I am aware dakini is working on the same translation as me at the moment. It is a newspaper article about junk mail and spamming. In the paragraph preceding "sin ir más lejos" the journalist talks about how depressing it can be to open your mail box only to find flyers and junkmail or "mail from the bank, reminding you how important money is. Or, much worse, your lack of it."

He then states "sin ir más lejos" and recounts how he received a particularly offensive piece of junk mail.

So my question is:

-Is he being sardonic and saying "moving swiflty on.." as if he does not want to talk about his own precarious financial matters?

-Is he saying "an excellent example of this ocurred the other day, when i received a particularly offensive piece of junk mail"?

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who could clear this up! I'm a bit confused! Both seem to work... Thanks very much.
  5. Hacklevel Member

Definitely YES.
    "Sin ir más lejos," gives the reader not only an example, but also a proof that this thing he's talking about is a current theme, happening here and now.
    This way he makes you feel the near this thing is and the posibility of you getting affected by it.

Is it clear? It's my first post, and my English is not that good. I'm open to corrections. Hope to be helpful.
  6. Lomas New Member

Uruguay, Spanish
    Hello, everyone,

I would really lilke to know how to say "sin ir más lejos" in English. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
  7. TheWanderer Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Spanish (Spain) and Catalan

I know this thread is old, but I've been looking for an accurate English translation of sin ir más lejos myself and I'd just like to give my two cents.
    Sin ir más lejos may be translated as: for example, actually, in fact and as a matter of fact.
  8. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)