since

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by BrendaP, Jun 26, 2014.

1. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    I'm not sure of the correct way to translate "since", as in the passage of time. Would this phrase be correct to say "Ten years have passed since you went to Canada"... "εχούν περάσει δέκα χρόνια από πήγες στον Καναδά."

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Hi!

3. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thanks so much, Perseas. That was one of the options the translators were giving me. Have to admit I was hoping the shorter version would work;) The first word was just sloppiness with the accent. Thanks for pointing it out!

4. orthophron Senior Member

Greek
    Hi!
    "since" is rendered as "από τότε που" and if you want a shorter version with exactly the same meaning, it is "αφότου".

5. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you very much orthophron. That's very important for me to know if I'm going to be hearing both versions.

6. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    What should be made clear here is that since can be three different parts of speech and would have (at least) three different equivalents in Greek:
    (preposition) I've known him since [2000 / first grade]. Τον ξέρω από [το 1970 / την πρώτη τάξη].
    (conjunction) I've known him since [we were at school together]. Τον ξέρω από τότε που [ήμασταν μαζί στο σχολείο].
    We haven't met since he got married. Δεν έχουμε συναντηθεί από τότε που / αφότου [παντρεύτηκε].
    (adverb) He got married last year and we haven't met since. Παντρεύτηκε πέρυσι και δεν έχουμε συναντηθεί από τότε / έκτοτε.

7. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Thank you Acestor. That explanation is now in my files and it really helps a lot.