1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Singular countable noun without an article?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mountainriver, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mountainriver New Member

Vietnamese
    I learn that if we use a singular countable noun then we must add an article or a determiner to it. There are a few special exceptions. Recently I have seen an article with the title: "Undersea World". The article talks about the world of undersea creatures, which is underwater and in the ocean. I'm wondering why the title doesn't use an article. Should it be 'The undersea world'? Because 'world' is a singular and countable noun. We are referring to a specific world. Also, sometimes I see some movies titles which don't have any articles. I'm really confused. Am I missing something about the grammar? Or we can leave out the article when the sentence is used as a title? Thanks for your help.

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    We often omit articles in titles.
    We may do the same in captions under pictures. For instance, the picture of a house on a hill may be labeled "House on hill."

3. mountainriver New Member

Vietnamese
    Oh I can understand it now. Thank you very much, Cagey.

4. PFP2 New Member

Polish
    This is an excellent topic. Therefore I'd like to add some confusion... Please look at the following examples taken from the body texts of articles (and books - the last one) written by native English speakers on three different websites. These sentences are NOT picture captions or article titles!

1. Richie Porte was the revelation of the 2010 Giro d'Italia. He wore the maglia rosa for three days and went home as winner of the young rider classification.

2. Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-SunGard) sealed overall victory in the Giro d’Italia on Sunday.

3. CCC Polsat: CCC is a chain of shoe shops in Poland whilst Polsat is satellite TV channel.

4. As coach and sports scientist Garth Fox explains, if you’re a time triallist, your number one enemy is aerodynamic drag. It is always present and will always be working against your attempts to go quicker.

5. Late last year, Armstrong resigned as chairman of the foundation he created, Livestrong, which has raised hundreds of millions of dollars in the fight against cancer.

6. As the sports world eagerly anticipates tonight’s interview with Lance Armstrong by Oprah Winfrey, there is much speculation as to why the American has decided to finally come forward after he has already been stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and his Olympic medal, after he has lost his personal sponsorships and resigned as chairman of his eponymous cancer foundation.

7. He stepped down as chairman of Livestrongfirst but remained on the board of directors.

8. "That was the most humbling moment. To get that call," Armstrong explained. "Two parts. Step down as chairman but stay on the board.

9. Shane Sutton has stepped down as head coach of Team Sky although the Australian will continue to serve a consultation role as a performance advisor and “troubleshooter.”

10. Rod Ellingworth, who has served as race coach at Team Sky since its inception in 2010, now takes up the role of performance manager, with responsibility for overseeing the work of the team’s coaches and sports directors.

11. Most broken of them all is Ellen whose promising career as geriatric professional is destroyed by allegations of elder abuse.

12. Garmin-Barracuda controlled the field for race leader Ramunas Navardauskas.

13. I am wearing garbage bag. Why, you might ask, thinking that Merino wool is more my thing. Quite simple, I know that in these days of cycling, banana peels and rotten tomatoes are thrown at anyone who dares stick their head up. Rocks also work quite well and, sadly, my garbage bag won’t do much against those. They hurt.

14. He took book and bottle. (This is taken from a novel by Ramsey Campbell titled "The One Safe Place". The sentence comes from a broader context of a chapter in which THE book and THE bottle were mentioned several times before this sentence occured).

Could anyone explain this mystery to me please?

5. Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    In moderation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.