Singular of مَخاطِر

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by rzl62, Nov 1, 2011.

1. rzl62 Junior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    Does مَخاطِر have any singular form? At first I would have thought it would be خَطَر, but its plural form is أخْطار.

As a side note, are there any good dictionaries that list the genders of nouns?

2. كلمات Senior Member

Arabic
    It should be مخاطرة

3. rzl62 Junior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    What are the short vowels for that? Thanks.

4. كلمات Senior Member

Arabic
    I think it's like this: مُخاطَرّة

5. rzl62 Junior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    Interesting. What then would be the difference between these three singular-plural pairs? Do these all have the same meaning?:

مُخاطَرَّة (مَخاطِر)؛
    مُخاطِرَة (مُخاطِرات)؛
    خَطَر (أخطار)؛

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    I think that is wrong.
    خطر has two plurals; مخاطر and أخطار (danger)
    مخاطرة has the plural مخاطرات (risk-taking)
    مخاطرّة doesn't exist

7. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    I think it would be unlikely for خطر to have a broken plural with م . Perhaps it is a plural of مُخْطِر or مُخْطِرَة which is usually used as an adjective for "dangerous".

8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    خطر has the plural مخاطر in modern usage, that is a fact.و
    واجهت مخاطر كثيرة في طريقي للمدرسة.
    واجهت خطراً واحدً في طريقي للمدرسة
    If there is a counter-example I'd like to know it.

As for مُخْطِر or مُخْطِرَة they are so rarely used I wouldn't expect most people to understand them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. كلمات Senior Member

Arabic
    While Iskandrani makes a good argument and I, myself, when answering was unsure of if both words were actually the plural of خطر, I however am not sure about the alternative meaning either. مخاطر اكل السمك الغير مطبوخ للحوامل for example doesn't mean the dangers (for me) but the risks.

10. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    I see what you mean... it's almost like it has a different meaning here.

11. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    I think it may be a different word here. In this sentence I think it is mukhaaTirun which is اسم فاعل for خَاطَرَ بـ which means to try to put something in danger, or to risk something. Its grammatical function, I think, is تقديمُ الخبر الجائزُ like ممتوعٌ التدخينُ .

In the original post, I think the plural makhaaTiru was being discussed which I conjectured was the plural for mukhTirah. I'm not sure about this but I thought broken plurals of the form فعالِل could not introduce the consonant م . It had to be present in the original word. Another example is mashaakilu which is the plural of mushkilah. Sometimes, the singular form (originally an adjective, inasmuch such a differentiation is possible) is not commonly used, like mataa3ibu which I think is a plural for mut3ib or mut3ibah.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    No; it is makhaaTir in that sentence (مخاطر أكل السمك عديدة)

13. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Ah, I misread the sentence then. I thought it was a warning but I think you're saying it is like a heading, "The risks of eating a lot of uncooked fish", not, "Eating a lot of uncooked fish is risky."

Thanks.

14. كلمات Senior Member

Arabic
    No, the translation of "مخاطر أكل السمك عديدة" is "The risks of eating fish are many."

15. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Thanks كلمات , that makes more sense.