Singular or Plural in Predicative Expressions?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by erikus, Sep 30, 2012.

1. erikus Junior Member

norwegian
    I wonder what is the grammatically correct form of the verb – singular or plural – in predicative expressions where one part is singular and the other part plural. For instance:

Pictures of happy students is/are a nice feature.
    Another problem is/are his depression and anxiety.

My intuition (I am not a native speaker) says "is" would be right, but I can't figure out why. What is considered the subject in these situations?

2. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I would instinctively make the verb agree with the first element: Pictures...are..., Another problem is..., but wait for more opinions.

3. teny New Member

Norwegain
    Any ideas?

4. Rival Senior Member

English - UK
    In English, the verb must agree with the subject.

Pictures (of happy students) are a nice feature.
    Another problem is his depression and anxiety.

If you reverse them --
    A nice feature is pictures of happy students.
    His depression and anxiety are another problem. (although I would probably say '... are other problems'.)

5. teny New Member

Norwegain
    Thank you very much!

6. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    The general principle is to have the verb agree with the subject, which is the first noun phrase, but exceptions can be found. When a sentence is equating two things, A = B, it can of course be reversed to say B = A. The subject is A in the first case and B in the second, and should agree accordingly. Noun phrases beginning with 'what' do not have an intrinsic number, so they sometimes get ignored when they're the subject:

What we need here is/are some flowers and pictures.