sit in a chair/sit on a chair

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by judith0030, Jun 2, 2008.

1. judith0030 Member

Spain spanish
    Hi everyone!

I have always wondered about this. Should I say sit in a chair or sit on a chair?

Thank you in advance.
  2. Lenora

Lenora Senior Member

Spanish Spain
    Sit on a chair
  3. horsewishr

horsewishr Senior Member

Michigan (USA)
    English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    I'd say sit in a chair.
    Oddly enough, we sit on a couch or sofa, but in a chair.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. judith0030 Member

Spain spanish
    Hi again!

Is there any case in which you can say sit on a chair? I have seen both possibilities when reading a book and I don´t know if there is any difference.

Thank you
  5. horsewishr

horsewishr Senior Member

Michigan (USA)
    English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    If it was a large chair with arms, you could sit on the arms, and you'd be sitting on the chair. You also sit on a stool. Or on the toilet. It's very strange, now that you've got me thinking about it.

Who knows--it could be a regional thing.
  6. javier8907 Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    I remember from my English classes that you sit on a chair, but in an armchair (of course, unless you sit on the arms). It may be a regional thing, I don't know -I was taught British English, not American.

Anyway, Google gives twice as much results for "sit in a chair" than "sit on a chair".
  7. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    I'm going to say you can use either. Maybe, instinctively, native speakers know which one to use depending on the type of chair involved.

A mother takes a child to the dentist. "Sit on that chair and wait, " she tells the child.

I'm being nagged to go out for a walk: "I don't want to, I'm so comfortable in this chair by the fire".

Now that I think about it, I think the type of chair IS significant. If I'm sitting by the fire, it's likely in an armchair, and I would never say "on an armchair". If I'm waiting in the dentist's surgery, I would never say I was sitting "in a chair".

So context is important.
  8. The MEAT Maestro Member

Inglese; Norte America
    Either way, wouldn't you use "en" for both prepositions for the spanish translation?
  9. bat_factor

bat_factor Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish (European)
    ^Indeed, in Spanish we use the preposition "en" regardless of what kind of object we are sitting on/in.

As far as I know, both "in" and "on" are correct in English, as some of you already said, and I agree it depends greatly on the context. It definitely depends on what kind of seat we're talking about, but my guess is there is also a nuance there about how comfortable we are - personally, saying that I'm "sitting in an armchair" gives me the impression that I'm sitting comfortably rather than perched on one of the arms (much like you'd perch on a stool or a bed).

I'm thinking it might have to do with how many ways there are for someone to sit on a particular object: there's only one way to sit on a stool or on the average chair, but there are more possibilities on larger objects like armchairs, right? ^_^
  10. elianecanspeak

elianecanspeak Senior Member

by Lake Michigan
    English - EEUU
    In addition to sittining "in" an armchair, "sitting in" may be used in the sense of "occupying":

"I'm sorry, but my wife is sitting in that chair" (When she has gotten up for a minute and someone else starts to sit in it, thinking that it is available)

"What seats were you sitting in?" "We were in J12 and 13". (At the theater or on a plane)
  11. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Post #5 in this thread will direct you to some more threads where this has already been discussed.