skating ring/skating rink

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kenny4528, Jun 25, 2008.

1. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Hi there,

I wonder about the difference between skating ring and skating rink in English-speaking world. Does the fomer always have to be a round shape? The pictures on Google seem not to appear so. Thank you.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
    : sports
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    skating ring?? Not part of my AE vocabulary. I always skated (on wheels or blades) in a rink.
  3. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Yes, rink is the only term I had learned about until last night one teacher mentioned skating ring in broadcast.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  4. I don't think there is anything like skating ring either.

What's the context, kenny?
  5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    I concur with cyberpedant: I have never heard of a "skating ring"; I have only heard of a "skating rink".

Note that things that are called rings do not have to be round; for example, a "boxing ring" is actually square.
  6. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you all.

Not too much. The subject of the show is about circus ring, and then that English teacher said there is a commonly used term in English, which is "skating ring". It seems that He may have been wrong. He isn't a native English speaker.

All right, I'm going to re-listen that show to make sure I wasn't misheard...
  7. I'm thinking maybe you, the students, were wrong and simply took 'ring' for 'rink'?
  8. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    I've always used 'rink', but I just assumed it was a sloppy way of saying 'ring'. Now, I learn that I was correct all the time. Thanks, everyone.
  9. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Back from that program. I was not misheard. He spelled it out "ring", so...he needs to come over here to learn more.**
  10. Well, if he spelled it out, he must be wrong then. :D
  11. kenny4528

kenny4528 Senior Member

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Yes.:) Thank you all for your replies.
  12. bbbobbbo New Member

Romanian, Romania
    I'd also like to point that a simple search on Google Images by the words "skating rinG" will turn an impressive half million results, while "skating rinK" will reveal nearly 1 million.

Judging from that, someone might be wrongly led to think there are 2 different terms with slightly different meanings, well my guess is many people around the world may have picked up the wrong spelling at one point and have since perpetuated the mistake.

It's also hard to tell from pronunciation only "ring" vs "rink" since they're uttered almost identically.

And notice "ice rinG" will get you 7 million Google images (!!!) whereas the correct "ice rinK" only 1.5 million.
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Google check.
    71,900 for "skating ring (13,800 images)1,540,000 for "skating rink (286,000 images)70,100 for "ice ring (9,750 images)1,500,000 for "ice rink (304,900 images)

Once again, pointing out the importance of using quotation marks when you are searching for a phrase.