Skiing: student / (instructor)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by damita.jo, Nov 23, 2013.

1. damita.jo Senior Member

Polish
    Hi:) Is someone who learns to ski a learner skier, a skiing learner or a ski learner? Or maybe I need a totally different word? Thanks:)

2. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Accotding to our dictionary, you can have a "novice driver", so perhaps it should be "novice skier"?

3. damita.jo Senior Member

Polish
    We also have a learner driver so why not a learner skier?:) What about a beginner skier? By the way, a lot of websites concerning skiing courses use the term "learners" and I just wanted to verify whether it's correct...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Learners, but not learner skiers. Beginning skier and novice skier are good.

5. damita.jo Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you:)

6. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    See also:

snow bunny
    1. someone learning to ski. This little slope is for snow bunnies. Most of the snow bunnies come here to socialize.
    2. a young, attractive female at a skiing lodge. some cute little snow bunny came over and sat beside me.This place is swarming with snow bunnies who have never even seen a ski.
    See also: bunny, snow
    McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

7. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Who has "learner driver"? That's new to me. I would say "student driver," and I would say "skiing student" (it sounds better to me that way.)

8. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Nice question here. Related to this, what's the reverse/opposite, I mean the person who teaches skiing? Is it a 'ski monitor', by any chance?

9. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Ski instructor (the guy in red in this picture).