skin and bones

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

In English, if someone is very thin, it is said he/she is only skin and bones, do you use the similar expression in your language?

Hungarian: csont és bőr (the funny thing is we changed the order of the words, i.e: "bone and skin")
    German: Haut und Knochen (skin & bones)

2. bibax Senior Member

Czech: Je kost a kůže. = S/he is bone and skin.

Another common saying:

Je jak za groš kudla. = S/he is like a one penny knife (a knife that costs one penny/groschen).
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: vel over been (skin over bone) [It might be Flemish]
  4. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Spanish (Arg)- German
    In Hebrew: עור ועצמות - 'or ve'atzamot - meaning skin and bones. Probably a translation from an European language.
  5. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    In French:

"(n')avoir (que) la peau sur les os" (literally: to have (only) skin on your bones)
    colloquial, very pejorative: "être un sac d'os" (literally: to be a bag of bones)
  6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Hi Encolpius,

in Greek:

1A) «Σκελεθρωμένος, -νη, -νο» [sceleθro'menos sceleθro'meni sceleθro'meno] (masc. fem. neut.) a reloan from the Italian scheletro < Byz. adj. «σκελεφρός» skele'phros --> dry, parched, lean, ultimately from the Classical verb «σκέλλομαι» 'skĕllŏmae --> to be parched, dried up, withered from PIE root *(s)kele-, to parch, whither (cognate with Gr. σκελετός > Lat. sceletus, Eng. skeleton, Fr. squelette, Ger. skelett, It. scheletro, Sp. esqueleto)
    1B) «Σκελετωμένος, -νη, -νο» [sceleto'menos sceleto'meni sceleto'meno] (masc. fem. neut.), from «σκελετός» (see above)
    2) «Κοκκαλιάρης, -ρα, -ρικο» [koka'ʎaris koka'ʎara koka'ʎariko] (masc. fem. neut.), a colloquialism, from the colloquial name of the bone, «κόκκαλο» ['kokalo] (neut.), from the Classical masc. noun «κόκκαλος» 'kŏkkalŏs --> kernel of fruit, fruit stone with obscure etymology.
    All are used interchangeably and are equally common
  7. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

In Turkish:

Bir deri bir kemik
    = One skin one bone
  8. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    кожа да кости / kozha da kosti/ - skin and bones (this expresstion uses an outdated word for "and").
  9. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    In Spanish you can say "Está en los huesos" (literally: is in the bones) or like French "es un saco de huesos" (is a sack of bones). The skin part is lacking :)
  10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Ad apmoy: so you don't use the literal translation, do you?
    Ad Slavic languages: I have expected all Slavic languages might use the Czech-Hungarian word order, I doubt there is any connection between the Czech and Hungarian coincidence.
  11. bibax Senior Member

IMHO the explanation of the Czech word order is quite simple. The expression "kost a kůže" consists of two trochees (-.-. like "Peter, Peter" or "pumpkin-eater", for instance). "Kůže _ a kost" would not sound rhythmical and it also contains one hiatus.
  12. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

No, I 'm afraid we don't. The most common expression (besides the ones I've previously posted) is simply «σκελετός» [scele'tos] meaning "you're so thin you've become skinny as a skeleton"
  13. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Yes it is " Buto't balat siya" . or " Mukhang kalansay (skeleton) siya"
  14. darush Senior Member

Hi Encolpius,
    پوست و استخوان /pusto ostokhaan/ (skin and bone)
  15. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    I think I ' ve heard "πετσί και κόκαλο" (= skin and bones).
  16. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    In Chinese:

皮包骨頭/皮包骨头 pí bāo gǔtou [lit. bones wrapped by skin]
  17. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In British English: "He's/She's all skin and bone" (not "bones").
  18. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    You have to specify that that Spanish is European, many Latinos don't say exactly that. :D

Costal de huesos, saco de huesos, palito, esqueleto, vara 'e puyá loco (vaya de puyar loco) (it also means very high person) (Vzla.), ser piel y huesos, garza (vzla.), alambre (vzla.). I'm sure there are more.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  19. chitanegra Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    In simple terms........FLACA. or FLACO for a man. Ok? In mexican spanish.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  20. arielipi Senior Member

Also in hebrew:
    שק עצמות sac atzamot - sack (of) bones[=bones sack]
    שלד sheled - skeleton, though dead, not raised one :p
  21. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    But we're not looking for terms to refer to just a thin person but a VERY thin person, and to my knowledge flaco/a just means thin person, not very thin. Unless in Mexico it means very thin. :D
  22. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese: pele e ossos, literally the same.
  23. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    And in Italian: pelle e ossa, literally the same.
  24. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Arabic: meat on bones - La7m 3ala 3aDm - (لحم على عضم).
  25. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. When you write Arabic, do you mean Egyptian Arabic?
  26. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Cro, Slo
    Skin and bone

Koža in kosti

Koža i kosti

Haut und Knochen
  27. chitanegra Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    Güilo for man. Güila for woman. This is another good one. Bye!
  28. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    In American English, it's perfectly acceptable to use the expression "only skin and bones," but it's more common to use the expression "all skin and bones" when referring to someone who is very underweight.

In Norwegian, the expression that's used for someone who is extremely thin is "bare skinn og bein," which literally translates as "only skin and bones" in English.
  29. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    Yes mataripis is correct:) We used "buto't balat" referring a person who is very skinny/thin.
    It literally means in English bone and skin.
    Sometimes we also say patpatin or payatot, from the word patpat which means stick in English.

Smile Everyone:)
  30. Panceltic Senior Member

Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Slovenian: Sama kost in koža ga je. Translation: [There] is only bone and skin [of] him. "Ga" is in genitive case. For a woman, it would be: Sama kost in koža je je.
  31. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Yes, that was Egyptian Arabic.