Discussion in 'All Languages' started by OneStroke, Apr 13, 2013.

1. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    Do you have such a word or phrase in your language? If so, what does it mean? If not, are there any similar phrases? Thanks! I'm just curious. :D

In English, it usually refers to a sentiment. There's also the phrase 'beauty is only skin deep'.

膚淺 fūqiǎn

This word usually refers to somebody's knowledge or understanding of something. For example, someone who thinks A Christmas Carol was only aimed at teaching a moral lesson might be said to have a 膚淺 fūqiǎn understanding of the novella.
  2. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    No literal translation in Dutch as far as I can see, unfortunately. Only ondiep (un-deep), oppervlakkig (opper-vlak-kig, super-fic-ial)...
  3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

In Tagalog it is called "Panlabas" (outside feature).
  4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

No literal translation in Greek:

Adj. «επιφανειακός, επιφανειακή, επιφανειακό» [epifani.a'kos] (masc.), [epifani.a'ci] (fem.), [epifani.a'ko] (neut.) --> superficial < Byzantine adj. «ἐπιφανειακός» epiphaneiakós --> of the surface < Classical fem. noun «ἐπιφάνεια» ĕpĭpʰắneiă --> appearance, aspect < compound, prefix and preposition «ἐπὶ» ĕpì --> upon, over, at (PIE *epi/*opi, near, at, against cf Latin ob, to, towards) + verb «φαίνω» pʰǽnō --> to show, make known, reveal, disclose (PIE *bʰeh-, to shine cf Skt. भाति (bhAti), to shine; Arm. բանալ (banal), to open, unfold).

Adj. «ρηχός, ρηχή, ρηχό» [ri'xos] (masc.), [ri'çi] (fem.), [ri'xo] (neut.) --> shallow < Classical fem. noun «ῥηγός» rhēgós & «ῥᾱχός» rhākʰós (Ionic «ῥηχός» rhēkʰós) --> thorn-hedge, palisade (PIE *wrāgʰ-/*wrăgʰ- (1), thorn)
  5. arielipi Senior Member

שטחי shitkhi - shallow (person).
    derived from the root ש-ט-ח sh-t-kh, denoting areal things( here area of personality).
    a t will be added for a female version.

skin deep in hebrew actually reverses it, and the meaning becomes got deep in his heart - חדר לעצמות khadar laatzamot.
  6. luitzen Senior Member

Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    In Dutch we have expressions with "bot" (Engl.: bone), such as "tot op het bot beledigd zijn" (Engl.: to be offended till the bone, to be greatly offended) and "de kou trekt mij in de botten" (Engl.: the cold gets in my bones, I (start to) feel very cold).
  7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    OK, but that is quite the opposite of skin-deep. I just thought of expressions referring to skin that refer to indifference, lack of compassion, which is close to shallowness, one could say.
  8. luitzen Senior Member

Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    Then a more similar expression would be "het gaat mij niet in de koude kleren zitten" (lit. it's not going to sit in my cold clothes) which means that it really gets to you. Since it's a negation "het gaat mij in de koude kleren zitten" means you don't really care about it, but such an expression isn't very common.

And since skin in skin-deep is used a metaphor for something very thin, we could use "flinterdun" in Dutch, however that's not really used as a metaphor.
  9. Holger2014 Senior Member

German "oberflächlich" = "superficial, shallow
    ober- = sur-, super-,
    -fläch/Fläche = area, surface
    -lich: = adjective ending
  10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

No special, interesting phrase in Hungarian.
  11. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Skönheten sitter på ytan - beauty is/sits on the surface