skinner

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lautaro, Apr 7, 2009.

1. lautaro

lautaro Senior Member

Mediolanum, Italia
    Español chileno, Italiano del nord
    Hello,
    yesterday I learnt that "skinner" is a slang for pedophile. I wish to know about the derivation of this term. Can it be from the idiom "get under your skin" which is "to bother someone" and extend this meaning to "to molest (sexually)"?
    And does this "skinner" have a, even vague, connection with Principal Skinner character in "the Simpsons" TV series.

Thank you.

LAU

2. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Can you tell us where you came across the fact that "skinner" is slang for paedophile? I've never heard of it, but it's quite possible that it is current in some forms of English.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I've never heard of it either, Lautaro, but my slang dictionary has this:

skinner n.(4) [20th century] (US underworld) a rapist [from Standard English skin]

EDIT: It also has this:

skinner n.(1) [mid-19th century] a thief, usually a woman, who waylays young children and strips them of their clothes, which she then sells

But I imagine it's more likely to be an extension of the first definition rather than the second.

4. lautaro

lautaro Senior Member

Mediolanum, Italia
    Español chileno, Italiano del nord
    I heard it on US tv serie "without a trace": a policeman is questioning a suspect about a pedophilie crime and threats him to imprison him in. To be more convincing he writes on his arm the word "skinner" so that everybody in jail will no he is a pedophile.

Thanks

LAU