Slam, bang, thank you, ma'am!

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by MotoMama, Dec 17, 2008.

1. MotoMama Junior Member

Is there a derogatory "slang" equivalent to "slam, bank, thank you, ma'am" in Spanish?

2. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    The only one I know is "sábado, sabadete, camisa limpia y casquete".

Though I don´t really know where a bank does fit in the equation.

3. secre

secre Junior Member

Seaside, Ca.
    Mexican spanish
    In spanish It would be:
    slam=azotar slang=aventar
    bank=banco like Bank of America (this is the only sense that I know about this word)
    thank you=gracias (more personal than a just thanks) slang=chido
    ma'am=señora or madam slang=ruca=ñora

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  4. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    I always thought this is one of those things a stupid human being of the male sex says when he wants to refer to his own sexual pleasure, taking the feelings of the woman concerned with as much consideration as he would take those of an inflatable doll.

5. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    I'm sort of confused by the original post. The phrase is usually "wham, bam, thank you ma'am."
    But yes, Alexa, you have the correct interpretation.

6. secre

secre Junior Member

Seaside, Ca.
    Mexican spanish
    Oh, so it is "wham, bam, thank you ma'am." now I see, yes alexa you are pretty right. But the question is: exist a derogatory way to say the same in spanish? I can't recall any one.

7. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    I imagine that if they exist, they will be widely different. Argentinians, Mexicans, Spaniards, Colombians, Peruvians... we speak the same language but the set phrases are not the same.

8. Basil Ganglia

Basil Ganglia Senior Member

Bellevue, WA
    English - USA
    The expression is "Slam. Bang. Thank you, ma'am." [edited to add]: as noted in a post above, "Wham. Bam. Thank you, ma'am" is also used. The expressions have identical meanings and uses.

This a rather crude male colloquial expression for a short and fast sexual liaison. I doubt that a literal translation would effectively transmit the meaning.

The expression does not convey that the liaison was forced on the woman or was unwelcome. It also says nothing about whether the woman was also only expecting a "quickie" or was hoping for something more. As noted by other posters, the expression conveys total disinterest in the woman's involvement in any sense other than as a source of sexual gratification.

9. MotoMama Junior Member

Oops, I meant to type "bang" (not "bank") in the text as I had typed it correctly in the title.

I see no difference between "slam, bang" and "wham, bam," but thank you for the correction, xqby!

So there is no equivalent in Spanish to our English expression (as alexacohen had defined the context perfectly) then?

10. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    I don´t know of an equivalent expression. Of course any Spaniard of the male sex can say something with the same meaning... but it would not be a set phrase.

11. MotoMama Junior Member

Okay, I'll give a little help by making an attempt at translation myself and wait for a male (preferably from Mexico) to say it better for me.

Situation: My boyfriend said he had to run out to the bank and will be right back (and before he has to make it to work on time). He hasn't come back and I haven't heard from him, so I want to respond something like this:

"Ay, es que eres mi malcriado bien mimado y me hiciste el amor de un golpe y te fuiste volando? O es que tuviste un accidente y estas en el hospital muriendo?"

12. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.
    There's something similar, but it's said by a woman: "métemela aquí que no tengo bolsillos".

Saludos, t.

13. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "Slam, bang, thank you ma'am" seems to me to have been an error adopted by some people in place of the original "wham, bam". The words are clerely intended to rhyme with "ma'am"", and "wham" and "bam" would do that. Slam-bang, on the other hand, is a different (although more familiar) phrase with a different meaning, and would have been picked up here only because "slam" rhymes with "ma'am." "Wham, bam" implies speed, while "slam, bang" suggests an unintended collision or inappropriate and excessive force.

14. Basil Ganglia

Basil Ganglia Senior Member

Bellevue, WA
    English - USA
    Estoy de acuerdo con GWB.

15. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

¿Que tal una versión libre?

Nicolás, ya jod**te, ya te vas.

Si hay algún Nicolás en el entorno, se sustituye por Blas.

16. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english
    In the UK wham, bang etc. (and Canada)

In this contexto a good version would be "Adios, se te he visto no me acuerdo".

Más suerte con el próximo!

17. sabredan Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    It seems like the meaning of the phrase is the lack of consideration to a female after a sexual intercourse with her has been achieved. I'm not aware of any well-known idiom in Spain with the same meaning, although the one proposed by Alexacohen definitely looks like the perfect candidate.

Cheers.

18. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    I know it as "Wham Bam Thank.You Ma'am". Great version in David Bowie's Suffagette City.

In my experience "brief sexual liaisons with no further expectations" are practiced as much by females as by males. Perhaps that's for a different forum.

Look on the bright side, at least there's a "..thank you" in the there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  19. MotoMama Junior Member

Okay, I'm satisfied. Thanks, all. "wham, bam" definitely describes (and rhymes) much better. And thank goodness for the "thank you, ma'am"! :)

20. ery1980 Senior Member

spanish

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  21. JKL2008

JKL2008 Senior Member

Orlando(FL)/Madrid(Spain)
    Spain, spanish
    Tal como decían por ahí, la idea de esta frase puede decirse de varias maneras distinta, según los países, regiones, etc.
    A mí se me ocurre "Aquí te pillo, aquí te mato", donde "matar" no se refiere en sí a asesinar, sino a otra cosa.

Bueno... y en plan más coloquial, yo tenía un amigo de un pueblo de Aragón que decía "¡Ranca, pum, volteta!", referido a lo mismo que la frase original, y te lo explicaba diciendo: como los conejos...

22. lisis Junior Member

spanish
    Bueno, ya sé que es muy tarde, pero quizás les viene bien para otros que busquen un equivalente (como es mi caso). Aquí va otra sugerencia: "prometer para meter, y una vez metido, olvidar lo prometido".
    :)

23. Mirlete Senior Member

Barcelona (Spain)
    España-Español
    ¿Que tal "aqui te pillo, aqui te mato"? En España lo usamos bastante.

24. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    Ellaborating on Alacant's proposal, I would say:

Pim, pam, pum y si te he visto no me acuerdo.

25. canaman73 New Member

Spanish
    It could be translated either as "un rapidillo" o "un aquí te pillo aquí te mato".