1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Slang for 'Euro' / €

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Broccolicious, May 13, 2008.

1. Broccolicious Senior Member

Glorious Devonshire
    English - England
    Hi All

There are many colloquial terms for currency - quid for £, buck for $, etc. Have any words emerged yet that are specifically used for the Euro? Or have existing words for the previous currency (eg pesetas) now come to mean €?

Broc

2. Grop

Grop Senior Member

Provence
    français
    In France I have heard the word dollar used as a slang for euro, but that was when USDs were of similar value.

Some people may say 'balle' which was a common slang for franc (the former currency), but that creates confusion as you don't know which currency is really meant (for many people still convert values into francs).

I can't think of a real, idiomatic slang that everyone would use. I suspect this is a sign that we are not yet fully used to euro.

(Isn't that an all-languages question?)

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    See Quid - euros in Ireland?

4. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
  5. avok

avok Senior Member

I guess the French say "roro" for "Euro"

6. Juri Senior Member

Koper, near Trieste
    italian/Slovenia
    It's curious how in Tunisia and Lybia they say "oro" for Euro.
    It sounds funny to italian ears also the German pronunciation "Ojro", (because of the diphtong "eu" as in Europa).
    In Italian the € has no plural.
    In Slovenia the use is:1€= en Evro, 2€ = dva Evra,3€=trije Evri, 100 € =sto Evrov.

7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    No, they say "euro".

8. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    As I already said in the thread you mentioned, I have never heard the word Euronen. Teenagers might say Eus (singular Eu) here, but otherwise I haven't come across any slang term for euro.

By the way, I can't even think of a slang word for Deutsche Mark (former currency), except for "ein Groschen" for 10 Pfennig (pence), which is still sometimes used for 10 cents.

9. zalacain56

zalacain56 Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    In Spain is popular the word "Pavo" for Euro (but not from upper class). It's possible to hear other words such as "Europios, Uros, Yuros..." bur they are not so poular.

10. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    I just remember the word "Teuro", which is sometimes used in magazines or journals to emphasize high prices. The word is a combination and play on words of the adjective "teuer" (expensive) and "Euro".

11. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I can assure you, it exists; and not only in one region.
    There were more (e.g. "Heiermann" for the 5DEM coin). You might be too young to remember them from personal experience.

12. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
  13. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    What about Eier (eggs)?

14. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Maybe, but I had been using the currency for almost 10 years (I guess I wasn't aware of names for money before the age of 3), so I should have stumbled upon at least some of them. ;)

Never heard of that.

15. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Although the word Teuro definitely exists and is used especially but by no means exclusively by the yellow press I wouldn't say that this really is "spoken German" and certainly not "slang" - if anything it is "pseudo-educated" speech that is speech which is thought of being "elaborated" and "educated" or even "witty" by those who use it but isn't really (as this really is a term coined by the yellow press, so not the educated ones ...).

But in my experience "Teuro" really is not regularly used in spoken language even though some people really use it - but predominately this is written. (In fact the only group of the population which seems to like to use this word consistently in spoken language seem to be politicians, especially if in pre-election states of mind. :D)

16. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    This was a frequently use expression. But it is (was) not necessarily restricted to DEM. It can be applied to any unit or currency.

17. avok

avok Senior Member

The title of this thread is "slang for Euro". So, Euro is itself not a slang word. The word "roro" is an example of "redoublement hypocoristique après troncation". If you speak French, you can read this link.

18. Grop

Grop Senior Member

Provence
    français
    Avok, I can confirm we (the French speakers) ocasionally do that sort of replication, but I think I have never heard roro as a slang for euro.

(I suspect we would rather replicate the first syllab of the word - as in cocos for communistes - which doesn't work very well with words starting with a vowel, such as euro).

Edit: Your link didn't seem to work yesterday, but I have read your document today. I view cricri and mimi as frequent stuff, but I view other examples (zouzou, bisbis, roro, zizir) as really odd. I may be too old for this texting slang ;).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  19. avok

avok Senior Member

Hahaha where did you hear that? I also know that "Eier" is used (to be used) for money in German. It is street talk though. "Hast du Eier?"

20. avok

avok Senior Member

Haha but I did :) I guess I never forget wierd things I hear. Of course I am not an academician or anything (if it is important to you) Did you read the link I provided?

21. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Yes and no:

Pavo (literaly a turkey) used to be the colloquial way to refer to the 5-peseta coin, also known as duro, and in some places as peso.

22. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    I think in Italian there is "eurozzo", but I don't know any other colloquial or slang terms for €. Maybe "eurata", but it is very rare. Does someone know other Italian words for this currency?

23. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Is it the slang term "eurata" used in Spanish too?