1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Slang meaning of Gata in romance.

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by killerbee256, Apr 14, 2013.

1. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    I've noticed that in Spanish & Portuguese has the slang meaning of "beautiful woman," personally I don't use it this way be cause it sounds rather sexist and it makes it confusing when you are actually talking about a cat. But where does this come from and is this usage found in other romance languages as well?

2. Triginta Septem Junior Member

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    English - America
    In French, Chatte also means pussy... I guess the Romans just liked calling girls cats...

3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Hi Killerbee256! Gata as beautiful woman! Spanish and portuguese had contact with Tagalog people in 16th century, maybe they adopted the word "Ganda"(beautiful in Tagalog) in their language.

4. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    That could be, the portuguese would have been exposed a closely related language, Tetum, in east timor. another thing I remembered a few days ago; in English calling to an attractive woman on the street "hey pretty lady!", is known as "cat calling." Stereotypically a construction worker would do this.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013