slang?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yellowred69, Dec 2, 2004.

1. yellowred69 New Member

Rome
    Italy
    What is a "cheap dime store hood"?

2. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi, Yellowred69! Can you write the sentence where this expression comes from? Because there are several options in regards to meaning.

Bye, Art :p

3. yellowred69 New Member

Rome
    Italy
    Ciao Art
    Thanks for answering
    I've read this sentence on a user's profile on Yahoo chat, as far as I know the sentence should be "Shut the fuck up, you cheap dime store hood!" and it is from Rob Reiner's beautiful movie "Stand by me".

4. Tomas Robinson

Tomas Robinson Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    USA, English & Spanish
    Artrella...I'm shocked! :eek: yellowred's phrase is so, so, soooo.... John Grisham-esque! And you, one of Grisham's biggest fans...oh, I can't take it :p

I think the term is for a low-life criminal. A pickpocket, or someone who robs liquor stores (as opposed to "high-life" criminals who plan and carry out bank robberies, or do white-collar "high-class" crime). "Dimestores" (or dime-stores, not sure) were at one time in the U.S. places to buy inexpensive things. They really don't exist any more.

Cheers!

Tom

5. yellowred69 New Member

Rome
    Italy
    Does "Hood" stands for thief?
    Thanks Tom

6. Tomas Robinson

Tomas Robinson Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    USA, English & Spanish
    Yes, a "hood" is short for "hoodlum", which Wordreference defines as:

An aggressive and violent young criminal

Buona notte! :)

T.

7. yellowred69 New Member

Rome
    Italy
    Buonanotte a te Tom
    and Thanks

Fabio

8. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Thank God you are here Tom!!! Because I could be Grisham-esque but you are Grisham-expert!!!! JA JA JA!!!!
    Ah!!! but "hoodlum" I know it, yes, yes it is in "The Street Lawyer"!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Art ;)

9. Blaster New Member

Arizona - USA
    USA - English
    I think that you are referencing a "cheap dime store whore". This is a person who doesn't care about who they have sex with and will have sex for any reason.

10. Blaster New Member

Arizona - USA
    USA - English
    Hi!

Can you tell me what this slang phrase means to you? "You have played me for the last time".

Peace
    Bla$ter

11. David Senior Member

This is 1930´s - 40´s slang...

Hood is indeed from hoodlum. It is still used as a term for a low-level gangster. Dime stores don´t exist any more...but the most famous chain was F.W. Woolworth, which built the tallest building in the world in New York, still standing, and in the south there was, I think, G.C. Murphy. At one time, everything cost five cents or ten cents; hence they were called five-and-ten-cent stores, five and tens, five and dime stores, dime stores. (Dime = 1/10 dollar = 10 cents). Dimestore now means anything cheap, low cost, poor quality, low value. He wanted to spend a million bucks on a big wedding. She said let´s have a dime-store wedding and buy a beautiful house...

12. lainyn

lainyn Senior Member

Canadian English
    You have tricked/betrayed me for the last time.

You have messed with me for the last time.

You have trifled with me for the last time.

The second option might still be too colloquial for a non-native English speaker. Hmm.