Slovak: administer

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by monalisa!, Feb 13, 2013.

1. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    How do you translate into Slovak this verb?

I could find no example for
    "to administer a test"
    and "to administer the oath"
    is usually translated : " vziať si pod prísahu"
    but this sounds inadequate and I suppose it is completely wrong if applied to, say,
    the President of USA "sworn in" after election.

Thanks in advance

2. littledogboy

littledogboy Senior Member

Well, that's a tricky one. I don't think, monalisa, that you're going to find one word to translate all of the meanings of to administer. Often dať would work, to give, or previesť or vykonať, to execute.

3. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    I agree with littledogboy. As for "to administer the oath", I think vziať do prísahy or vziať pod prísahu​ are correct.

4. Azori

Azori Senior Member

to administer a test = dať test (?)
    to take an oath, to be sworn in = zložiť prísahu / sľub
    to swear (somebody) in, to put (somebody) under oath = vziať (koho) pod prísahu

I think some context would be helpful.
    :eek:

http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/?w=previesť&s=exact&c=w43f&d=kssj4&d=psp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

In Slovak "previesť" isn't used in the same way as "provést" in Czech.

5. littledogboy

previesť2, správ. urobiť, vykonať, uskutočniť, realizovať

...I'm quoting from your useful link, Azori.

Otherwise, yes, to administer a test or medicines = to give, I think, and might that also be the case with monalisa's oath, I wonder?

6. Azori

Azori Senior Member

správ. = správne

It's not correct to use it with that meaning in standard Slovak. But then, it's hardly ever used that way.

7. littledogboy

Come to think of it, vziať si koho pod prísahu may really be the best solution. It does mean, in both English and Slovak, to let someone swear in front of you, doesn't it.

8. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thank you all for your replies,
    but, as I said, when Obama was elected, the supreme Judge administered him the oath, and so he was sworn into office.
    Can you say that " ..vzal si Prezidenta pod prísahu/ do prísahy"?
    as to school, would you say "uciteľ dal test triede?

9. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    It could be said that way but I personally would probably say just "...prijal prísahu prezidenta".

This is fine. Or even more naturally with a different word order: "Učiteľ dal triede test."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  10. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    As the president repeats the formula which is administered (pronounced) by the judge,
    would it be possible or better:
    "...odrecitoval prisahu"?

11. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    It is possible, but we use the verb recitovať mainly for reciting poems, so I don't consider it the best way to say that.
    In this case I would use "prezident zložil prísahu", although it doesn't necessarily have the connotation of repeating something after someone.

Edit:

But if you meant that the Chief Justice "odrecitoval prísahu" and the president repeated it, I'd rather say "...predseda najvyššieho súdu predniesol prísahu..."

12. Azori

Azori Senior Member

"vzal si prezidenta pod prísahu" and "vzal si prezidenta do prísahy" sound rather odd to me, I think most people would not understand it either. Google gives some results for the construction "zložiť prísahu / sľub do rúk osoby (ktorá vykonáva inauguráciu)". Examples:

13. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Yes I meant that. The point is to render a literal translation, where John Roberts is the subject. If "odrecitoval" is not acceptable, then we must settle for
    "predseda... predniesol prisahu Prezidentovi"?
    And , can this apply to court?
    "sudny uradnik/ zriadenec predniesol/ odrecitoval svedkovi prisahu "?

14. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    The fact is that this process is usually described in the way that Azori mentioned in her last reply (the examples from Google). But if we wanted a more literal translation of "to administer the oath" (and we don't want to use those rather uncommon phrases vziať do prísahy / vziať pod prísahu), then in my opinion something like this would be correct: "Predseda Najvyššieho súdu USA John Roberts predniesol prísahu / slová prísahy, ktorú / ktoré prezident Obama zopakoval." This could be applied for other cases as well.

Please, bear in mind that we don't capitalize the word prezident and don't forget the diacritical marks.

15. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    Hi monalisa!,
    "to administer an oath to someone" is not the same as "to take an oath," thus:

"to administer / impose an oath (e.g. an oath of office) to / on someone (e.g. a president at an inauguration) = to ask someone to make a solemn statement about the truth of the oath under the penalties of perjury = vziať (niekoho) do prísahy (vziať si koho do prísahy; vziať si koho pod prísahu)

"to take an oath (administered by any person authorized to do so)" = zložiť (slávnostnú, prezidentskú atď.) prísahu / sľub (na Bibliu apod.)

An example:
    Person X is administering an oath to person Y.
    Person Y is taking an oath administered by person X.
    But bear in mind, that this is just the part of that process (a jurat is also needed in such ceremonies), thus:
    "to administer an oath (to someone)" "predriekať (niekomu) prísahu" :)

Hope this helps. :)

16. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Hi (morieris invictus),

"predriekol " is probably the most precise translation, but are the other two wrong?
    In fact I thought that "odrecitoval" sounds more formal, and therefore more adequate.
    Just one more thing, is there any difference if we omit "si"?, and between "pod" and "do" ?

17. morior_invictus

Slovak
    Just take a look at these definitions and you will see why it is the only possible option in this context ;):
    Source: KSSJ : predriekať
    Source: KSSJ : odrecitovať
    Source: KSSJ : predniesť
    Yes, "vziať sebe / si (niekoho) do prísahy" is incorrect, because it`s "Ja vezmem Obamu do (nejakej, so mnou priamo nesúvisiacej) prísahy" and not "Ja sebe / si vezmem Obamu do prísahy (priamo súvisiacej so mnou; do svojej prísahy)." Can you see the differences between them and why the latter is incorrect? "Ja zaviažem Obamu (nejakým) sľubom":tick: or "Ja si zaviažem Obamu (k svojmu) sľubu?" :cross: :) Also "pod prísahu" doesn`t work here, because you say "vziať niekoho niekam / do niečoho (do prísahy, do sľubu; označuje väzbu)." Also I would say "Kňaz 'vzal / voviedol' ženícha a nevestu do zväzku manželského." :tick: and not "Kňaz 'vzal / voviedol' ženícha a nevestu pod zväzok manželský." :cross: :warning: But it`s "Je pod prísahou." or "Svedok bol podrobený výsluchu pod prísahou." It`s very hard to explain but stick to "do prísahy." ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  18. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
  19. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    I can confirm that predriekať is the most suitable word here, which I knew 'was there', but couldn't remember it.
    On the other hand, I still think the other two would be possible if we included the information of repeating. However, predriekať doesn't need this additional information, thus it is the best choice.

As morior_invictus has already mentioned, this is not a '100%' translation of "to administer the oath", but it's the closest one, which describes the most important act of the process.

20. TKD New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak - Slovakia
    I can't agree with this. (Ja) predriekam prísasu" doesn't mean that I am repeating an oath after the administrator, it means that I am the administrator who is reading/speaking an oath, which should be repeated after me.

21. morior_invictus

Slovak
    Oh, yes, of course. It was a typo. I stand corrected. Thank you, TKD. :):thumbsup:

22. morior_invictus

Slovak
    When you put "vziať pod prísahu" in the Google search box, the only results you get are those that are part of online translators, for example this one:
    Source : webslovnik.zoznam.sk
    Here are some examples of sentences that contain "vziať do prísahy" and are part of legal stuff:
    Source : POLÁK, P. 2011. Svedok v trestnom konaní. Bratislava, 2011. s. 56. ISBN 978-80-89447-47-3.
    Source : TRESTNÝ PORIADOK, III. ČASŤ - Súdne konanie
    I think it`s like with "you have another think coming" and "you have another thing coming" in English. The former is the only correct form of that idiom but the latter is probably more frequently used. But "preferred" doesn`t necessary mean "correct." So, feel free to use "vziať pod prísahu" but it`s incorrect in my opinion. As regards "odrecitovať prísahu," never ever use it. See my post #17. It`s absolutely incorrect. Some examples:
    Source: SME.SK – Udialo sa vo svete
    Source: 90bpm.sk - Barack Obama zložil prísahu

23. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thank you all!

(P.S. 16 hits in "Narodny Korpus" not in Google")

24. morior_invictus

Slovak
    Yes, I know. I used Google just for illustration. And you`re welcome. :):thumbsup: