Slovak: assault

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by monalisa!, Feb 23, 2013.

1. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    An "indecent assault" is "trying to kiss or touching a woman you don't know (or who is not willing)" or "to cop a feel"
    I usually find it transalted by "sexuálny útok", but it sounds too harsh to me, or even by"pokus o znásilnenie" is not that too much?

Likewise, "pinch a bottom" is translated with "štipnúť" which is idiomatic in English.
    How do you say in Slovak if someone touches a girl's bottom on a crowded bus?

Also, do you happen to know what is the Slovak for "assault and battery"? Webslovnik has:

úmyselný násilný útok so vztiahnutím ruky

what does that mean?
    battery can be a punch or a kick, do you know the right therm? usually it is translated by "ublíženie na tele", but that is "bodily harm", something more serious.
    Is a "modrina" = ublížnie na tele ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Azori

Azori Senior Member

I've found the following:

indecent assault = sexuálne obťažovanie, neslušný útok, pokus o sexuálne zneužitie

I think you could use "sexuálne obťažovanie" for the kind of behavior you describe. I'm not sure about the other two - "neslušný útok" - I don't think I've ever heard it, "pokus o sexuálne zneužitie" seems to be synonymous with "pokus o znásilnenie" = attempted rape.
    chytiť za zadok. Maybe.
    Never heard of it. For "assault and battery" I've found "napadnutie a ublíženie na zdraví".
    modrina = bruise, black-and-blue mark
    ublíženie na tele = bodily harm
    ľahké ublíženie na zdraví / tele = actual bodily harm
    ťažké ublíženie na zdraví / tele = grievous bodily harm

3. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    On this, I will answer with :):
    ...or "obchytkávať niekoho zadok."
    ...or a part of a sexual deviation called "frotérstvo."
    Assault (attempted battery) = "pokus o ublíženie na zdraví / vyhrážanie sa ublížením na zdraví"
    Battery = "ublíženie na zdraví" (§ 155 Trestného zákona)
    In the end, I would like to answer your question (finally :rolleyes:), so here it is - a perfect answer that best suits your problem:

4. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thanks, Azori, Morior.

according to Wiki, in 2003 the word "indecent" has been replaced by "sexual" and the term includes a whole range of behaviours, the worst being an attempted rape.

The problem is to ascertain what happens in Slovakia, can one (if caught on a bus) be charged of "sexuálne obťažovanie" ? I suppose not.As to "battery" I found 180 000 hits for:
    Za ublíženie na tele
    dostal pokutu 1500 eur. Voči obvineniu sa odvolal a súd sa prípadom bude zaoberať 6. novembra. Autor: Pluska.sk ...

and 380 000 for

This latter from gov.sk

I thought that "na tele" is less serious than "na zdravi", as in the first quote the racer had punched another man.
    You seem to agree that "na tele" is not used, is it old fashioned? is it synonymous?
    As to the 5 offences listed, I thought to match them as follows: (assault and battery has been replaced by: assault occasioning on (grievous) bodily harm)

ABH; actual bodily harm
    GBH: grievous bodily harm = malicious wounding, (death)
    rape
    (pokus o znasinlenie) sexual assault = attempted rape
    sexual assault, ???????? = sexual abuse = ???

but I cannot spot the difference between :
    sexuálne násilie a sexuálne zneužívanie
    have you any idea?, and what is the meaning of :
    útok so vztiahnutím ruky ?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. morior_invictus

Slovak

6. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thanks a lot, morior,
    it is really puzzling that nonsense should fetch 180 000 hits,

yet, your nonsense makes some sense to me. I think that "na tele"= bodily harm, harm on the body, is a dated term, which has been substituted by "na zdravì" since this is a more comprehensive term, and covers cases in which there is no apparent damage.
    As to "vztiahnutìm ruky" I agreed it is nonsense as an idiomatic expression can't be twisted. A naive translation of the English legal term might be" assault with physical contact"

You have given an accurate description of the issue, which is really complex.
    Thanks again

7. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Please, would you be so kind and post a link to the site where you get those 180 000 hits?

8. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
  9. Azori

Azori Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. morior_invictus

Slovak
    :):thumbsup: Yes, we need to use quotes if we want to search for an exact phrase and find only pages containing that particular phrase.

Moreover, if we excluded the results that deal with the same topic using a copy-and-paste method plus the results from the two online dictionaries that continually repeat themselves (i.e. slovnik.azet.sk and webslovnik.zoznam.sk), it would be 160 minus XY(Z) results = :confused: 160 minus XY(Z) results. :)

I surely would suggest to go with "ublíženie na zdraví." :thumbsup:

11. Azori

Azori Senior Member

I wonder if "ublíženie na tele" is really incorrect. It appears in KSSJ. :confused:

12. morior_invictus

Slovak
    Alas, I saw it today when I tried to look up that phrase in some plausible sources. So, it only means that that linguistic plague spreaded even to KSSJ – it has brought a drops of the clear salty liquid (i.e. a tears :)) to my eyes when I saw it. So it`s not a nonsense but a grammatically correct nonsense. :)
    Anyway, I`m standing by my decision that it`s just a poor literal translation of a "bodily harm." Someone was probably so disgusted with that not that much pure Slovak and inexplicit translation of it ("ublíženie na zdraví") that decided to establish it as a "beautiful" literal Slovak phrase. :thumbsdown: I have never heard and neither read it in my whole life. This is the first place where I came across it. "ublíženie na zdraví" is a set legal term and as far as I know, our law doesn`t know such a term as "ublíženie na tele." Regardless of the fact that some "candidatus scientiarum in linguistics" established it in KSSJ, my previous suggestion still applies . . .
    P.S. I`m very glad you put it in here, Azori. :thumbsup: Every aspect must be taken into account. From now on, it`s only up to monalisa! whether she will consider it perfect and will use it or not. I`ve done my best.

13. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  14. morior_invictus

Slovak
    As to the SNK translations, I don`t know if SNK translates it ex tempore or just uses an existing translations. Also, I don`t know if the version with "na tele" is an adaptation from Czech as their Criminal Code knows only "ublížení na zdraví:"
    Even though I found some results that contained the phrase "ublížení na těle," none of them came off of a legal source.

15. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    That link is a collection of the English books translated in Slovakia. If you click on the number on the left, you get the details about publishers and translators

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  16. morior_invictus

Slovak
    Oh, I see. Thanks. :):thumbsup:
    I`m convinced that translating of "Krajina rozkoše" probably caused some mind-wandering to its translator, so she was unable to pick a correct Slovak term for it. :rolleyes:
    So here is my final advice - a legal stuff is a specific area. Whether or not I am right about the fact that "ublíženie na tele" is a poor and incorrect translation of a "bodily harm," every improper translation of any legal term may cause a nonsense or misinterpretation from a legal point of view. Capisce? :)

17. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Comprendo, you are absolutely right!
    I wasn't arguing that, I did not understand (and still don't) why it sounds wrong or nonsense to you, as to my foreign ears it sounds a literal translation.
    thank you again

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  18. morior_invictus

Slovak
    I don`t know. Maybe it`s just because every time I hear (or read) "ublíženie na tele" I can only imagine a "body" (literally! No other associations, just... "telo" :)), its harmed surface (broken nails, torn lips, scratched calf, bitten aah-necks :) etc.) and not for instance a possible psychological injury like I imagine when I hear "ublíženie na zdraví" (I understand it more complexly). For that matter, I also see an immediate connections to a Criminal Code because that term is perfectly known to me. Maybe I`m so "deformado profesionalmente" that I can`t accept "ublíženie na tele" as a correct translation and consider it very verbatim and therefore strange. I`m sorry.