Slovak - birthday message

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by mateo19, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mateo19

mateo19 Senior Member

Hello friends!

This afternoon I recieved this message from my Slovak friend. I am only starting to learn some basic Slovak and I would like someone to please help me to understand this message.

vela zdravia, stastia a lasky ti zo srdca praje tvoja priatelka Natalia....cmuk:)

I think that "stastia a lasky ti" means "luck and love to you" and I know that "tvoja priatelka Natalia" means "your friend Natalia". Of course, "cmuk" is the sound a kiss makes. Maybe "zo srdca" is "on birthday"... I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you so much! D'akujem!!!

Matthew

2. Ayazid Senior Member

Hi, You were pretty close, it means: A lot of health, luck and love wishes you with all her heart your friend Natalia (well, it may not sound very well in my translation, but I hope it´s understandable :), "zo srdca" means literally "from heart").

3. mateo19

mateo19 Senior Member

Ahoj Ayazid!
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. I really appreciated your help with my mysterious birthday message!
    Take care, Matthew

4. Eagle-ize New Member

Hindi/Urdu
    Can the above phrase also be used if it from a boy to a girl? (with the name changed of course!)

5. Azori

Azori Senior Member

In such a case one could say: Veľa zdravia, šťastia a lásky Ti zo srdca praje Tvoj priateľ... (add the friend's name)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014