Slovak: business

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by monalisa!, Apr 12, 2013.

1. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Hi, here is another tricky word, that has many meanings.

One of these is " patronage, custom" = zákazníci :

we're losing business = stracame zákazníkov,
    but is there the abstract form : zákazníctvo?,
    how can we render:
    "customers might take their business elsewhere "?, I can think only of: priazeň , any thoughts?I found "it is a risky business" translated : "je to o hubu"
    is that correct?, doesn't it mean : it's a tough job?
    and by the way what is its literal meaning?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    "Je to o hubu" (literally "it's about [one's] mouth/chops") means more or less that it is dangerous, one may lose everything (figuratively "padne na hubu", "dostane na hubu", i.e. zraní sa, zle dopadne ...). This is a colloquial expression, not a technical term and it's not related exclusively to a job or business.

"Risky business" could be translated also "rizikové podnikanie", according to the context.
    "We're losing business" could be translated as "strácame zákazky"

3. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thanks, is that an abstract word like my fictive zakaznictvo, or it means just "objednavky"? and can we use it in the second example?
    "Risky business" could be translated also "rizkantné podujatie"?,
    so, je to o hubu
    means just " it is a dangerous situation"?

4. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Yes, in a more generic sense. I.e. not only related to "podnikanie, obchod, biznis ...", but also e.g. climbing a mountain can be a riskantné podujatie.
    Not so explicitely or exactly, it may contain also the aspect of "rizikovosť", depending on the context.

(I'll continue later ...)

5. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    what about : it's a touch-and-go [business]? (business here is: affair)

( ... dobrù chu
    ť)

6. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Strácam svoje zákazníctvo - I'm losing my clientship, patronage (less natural for me, I'd prefer klientelu in Slovak)
    Strácam svojich zákazníkov - I'm losing my customers
    Strácam svoje zákazky - I'm losing my "business", i.e. the "jobs/works" given to me/ordered from me by my customers/clients
    Strácam svoje objednávky - I'm losing my orders, but spontaneousely rather the "order sheets" (i.e. the "papers" and not the "job")
    Nothing comes to my mind. Colloquially perhaps "rýchlovka" ... but this may be associated with whatever action that doesn't last long.
    Ďakujem :)

7. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    "customers might take their business elsewhere "?, I can think only of: priazeň , any thoughts?

8. Pressburger New Member

Slovakia
    Slovak
    Hi, if you want to literally translate sentence "customers might take their business elsewhere" I would suggest that you stick with Slovak equivalent of English word "business" which is "biznis" instead of "priazeň". But if you translate whole sentence literally, it does not make much sense. So you may use something like this:

"Zákazníci by mohli odísť inam" that means "Customers might go elsewhere".

And definitely don't use "Je to o hubu". It may be used among friends as a joke but it's not very polite way to say that something is risky or hard :). If you want to say that it's a risky business than just say "Je to riskantné". Simple and elegant solution.

9. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    Thanks a lot, :) Pressburger, do you think "priazeň" is wrong?, and isn't Biznis rather derogatory?

10. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    I am neigther Pressburger nor from Bratislava (=Pressburg) :), but I think that "biznis" is not derogatory. As to "priazeň", it means something like "favour", so this term doesn't correspond to the English "business".

If I am not mistaken, you are looking for an equivalent of the English "customers might take their business elsewhere" for purposes of a (phraseological) dictionary. Without any other context, I'd say ad hoc e.g. "zákazníci by mohli nájsť iných dodavateľov", "zákazníci by mohli uplatiť svoje požiadavky inde", "zákazníci by mohli uskutočniť svoje obchody inde", etc ...

11. monalisa! Senior Member

Italia
    spanish
    "Zákazníci by mohli odísť inam"

Thanks for the translations, what I'd like to know if you can find a way to use priazeň, may be "we might lose their ..."?